I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guides
Posted by: Jerry Sloan (---.0.190.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 12:15PM

So which do you folks feel are the best brand micro guides for bass blanks? Do you have a item # for them? I tried some Amer Tackle but they brake easy...Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guides
Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 12:32PM

The new Pacific Bay FX zirconia micros are very strong and light, but hard to wrap.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 12:54PM

The original Batson minis are on most of my personal rods. They've served me well, but I don't use rod lockers, and try not to abuse my stuff too much. The Kigans are worth a very hard look. Aside from the normal fly guide type micros not having much of a neck, they are some very fine guides. If you prefer a bit more height off of the blank, Kigan has an option for those too. I don't know if they are available through the retail supply chain yet, but everyone who came to the ORBS gathering knows about them and left with a set with zirconia inserts. Maybe Alex will chime in and tell you about them ;)

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 12:56PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 12:55PM

Jerry,
American Tackle has introduced a heavier version of the micro guide in their Artus HD's are significantly stronger than a standard micro frame, see the link: [www.mudhole.com]

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 01:17PM

I've been using Kigans because the foot is long making it easy to wrap, no failures yet, 3D pressed rings etc. Really nice guides to work with.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 01:35PM

Brook beat me to it. The Am Tack Artus HD's look pretty beefy.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 01:41PM

I have been using the older American Tackle ones the most without any issues at all. Plan on trying the newer ones here soon myself to see how they work. Also have a set of Kigans and the Fuji K series to try on some rods as well.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 01:54PM

I will jump on the Kigan bandwagon. They have a lot of nice features, a relatively long foot, strong frame with just the right amount of neck for a Forhan locking wrap, and a very good system to hold the rings in.

Where Kigan really shines is the tips, they are way better than any other tips I have used both the standard and micro. Since the braces are welded on the side there is nothing for the line to hang on, and they are much less likely for the brace to come loose from the tube. The biggest problem for any tip is rings popping out and the Kigan system is vastly superior to any other that I have seen.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 06:47PM

my choice and why

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 06:55PM

Steve,

have you decided to stay with a locking wrap or have you moved away from that with the new design? I did not lock the set that I have and have had no failure as of yet.

Tom

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 10:20PM

Thomas
I still use Forhan's locking wrap on every thing.

It may not be necessary with Batson's new foot design on their Micro's
But I like the insurance they provide and not enough extra work to stop

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 11:28PM

Pacbay's 3.5 Minima micros also have very secure feet design with a nice bulge for the wrap to hold securely.

Mo

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 09:31AM

Hi Jerry,

How are the guides breaking? Try the Artus HD's they're twice as strong. We designed them for heavier uses such as inshore and heavier FW. Joe Meehan, AT

Posted by: Jerry Sloan (---.0.190.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 10:27AM

Joe, They are breaking below the ring . If they bend any they break. I love the nanolite rings. I just feel that the metal should not break so easily....

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 10:33AM

If I can answer any questions please email or call. We carry most of the different manufacturers micro guides in stock including Batsons, American Tackles regular and heavy duty micros as well as Fujis regular and heavy duty micros, and also our newest brand which is the Kigans.
They are all very good guides and all hold up to regular everyday fishing. I've built countless rods with all of them and had no problems with guides breaking or pulling out and I quit using the Forhan locking wrap a long time ago.

Lance

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 12:09PM

Hi Jerry,

In our experience the breaks occur when the guide gets damaged and then bent back into shape. Not much you can do there especially on a micro guide. We increased the width of the "ankle" when we designed the guide frame and we use an extra strong 316SS. You have to have a balance of strength and weight considerations. The HD's are as strong as you can make them but they are heavier. We have a new medium version due out the first of the year which falls in between the two. That will probably help. Joe

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2011 04:52PM

We carry the full line of Batson, ALPS, and Fuji Micros. My vote goes to the ALPS Micros. Very well designed, multiple rings and frame colors to choose from, and have had no issues with them.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 06:21PM

Steve,

Thanks for the update I think I will utilize in future wraps for anyone vice myself, as you stated the extra insurance is well worth the minute time it takes to perform the wraps.

thanks again,

Oh my vote goes with either the Batson and especially the ALPS.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster