I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I guess I'll have to guess.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 01:35PM

A lady wants me to build a 7' ultralight spinning rod (1/32 to 3/16 oz and 4 -6lb line, white perch and bream spinners and swimming jigs in crystal clear open water) for her husband for Christmas. I've chosen a Batson XP840. She said he uses a Shimano Spirex 1000 reel and braid. I don't have one of these reels and I can't borrow his because it's suppose to be a surprise. I don't know anyone with this reel. I'd like to get the dimensions and plug them into Angler's Rsrc GPS software and see what comes out.
1. Does anyone have those dimensions for the Shimano Spirex 1000 reel, spool diameter too for the 27x?
2. Has anyone ever built this type of rod and found the GPS software to be really close or, better yet, what did you finally come up with?
3. Lastly, and most important, how do you guys determine these things on your rods when you don't have access to the reel? Surely you've been in my situation and with Christmas coming on, I'm sure some of you are going through it right now. So, what do you do, make your best educated guess?

I'm seriously worried about this build as test casting has always been an important part of my builds. I think I can get the stress distribution close but I don't want to build something that's gonna thwack through the air and maybe be just as good as a production rod. I want it to be better. I normally use the NGC primer article instructions in the library but that's impossible without the reel in hand. I could possibly build a jig to mimmick the reel if I knew the dimensions. By cracky, I'm tempted to steal his reel in the dark of night and put it back when I figure it out ;). Can anybody help me stay out of jail?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I guess I'll have to guess.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2011 01:45PM

Are there any sporting goods stores in your area that would have that reel model so you could measure the spool?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 02:34PM

Greg,
Don't get bent out of shape on the size of the reel.
Grab a reel that may be used on the rod and set up the rod.
Remember, the rod may very well be used with many different reels.

Your spinning reel spools run from about 2 inches to about 6 inches. Normally a 2 1/2 inchy spool size will be about right for many different rods. Err on the side of a larger spool rather than a smaller spool. Many folks start out with a smaller spool, but end up with a larger reel before they are done with the rod.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Excellent choice on the blank. I have built quite a few rods on this blank and they work very well for the purpose. I just start with a size 20 guide and go from there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 05:38PM

Not for nothing -

tell them what reel you will set it up as -- Suggest several reels to get for it - Build it and make you best guess Sounds like a 20 or 25 butt guide ??? Running guides - small line you could probable go 4's ????
On the safe side go 6's What else can ya do ??

Or send him to WallMart

What else can you do I get this all the time ---- Drives me crazy

Done several lately They say the Brother -in-law or father or whoever loved them ????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 05:41PM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 13, 2011 06:09PM

duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 07:18PM by Greg Marshall.

Date: November 13, 2011 06:10PM

No, I can't find that reel in any store near me. I've searched the net and they just don't give you the info for those dimensions.

As I said, I usually use the NGC primer article in the library to set up a spinning rod. Has worked great so far, I test cast and adjust from there if I need to. The point where the rod intersects the edge of the table depends, not just on the spool diameter, but on the distance the center pin is from the foot of the reel and the angle of the reel (A,B, and C determine this on the GPS software's 1st tab). Without those dimensions, I guess I'm stuck using the 27x method and I'll make a guess of about a 50 mm spool diameter. Don't like guessing and often ask myself WWSD: What would Spock do?
thanks again guys, I'm off to research the 27x.

Date: November 13, 2011 06:15PM

he would take his - Best guess And then a Static test and hope for the best

His guesses are better then any one else's facts

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 06:43PM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 13, 2011 07:54PM

Greg,
If you put on a size 2000 reel and set up the rod for perfect operation, the 1000 will work fine as well.
Don't overthink this.

All that you need to do is to get the line from the handle area of the rod to the tip. Start bigger and go smaller with guides and you will be in good shape.

Tape your guides to the rod, after the handle and reel seat is in place and do some test casting. If you don't like it, change the guides and or position, before you wrap them.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 13, 2011 07:57PM

By the way Greg, there are literally many many ultra light sized reels on rods in stores of your choice. Just take a tape measure and notebook and pen along and check out some rods and reels with factory setups. If you also bring a caliper, it makes it easy to check the size of the guide on the rods as well.

This is always a good starting point for any type guide setup on a rod. You can always deviate to your hearts content from there.

Roger

Date: November 13, 2011 08:00PM

Greg,
Always a starting point:

[stcroixrods.com]

Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2011 08:01PM

40mm

Date: November 13, 2011 08:46PM

40 MM with 4 - 6 lb line ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 13, 2011 09:24PM

I believe he's saying that 40 mm is the diameter of the spool on the 1000. At least I'm looking at a 2000 now and it too measures 40 mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 09:28PM by Greg Marshall.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.235.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 02:48AM

From what I have seen, Shimano is fairly consistent with spool diameter across all their lines. Example, a sedona, sahara, sustain , and yes even stella 2500, all have the same spool diameter. I am unfamiliar with the spirex, but if I had to guess, find a shimano in a 1000 series and you have a VERY good chance of getting the same spool diameter, height from center of seat may be slightly off, but the diameter for 27x will be there.

Date: November 14, 2011 02:53AM

O right Then I get with that 3" with the reel in an Aero seat to the top of the spool shaft
A 500 I got the spool 35 MM and the shaft in same seat from the threads 2 7/8" to top of shaft

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 14, 2011 09:30AM

As we measure more and more reels we can "generalize" about the way things take shape. Generally, if you measure a reel in the same series, i.e. a 2000, 2500, 4000 etc. you will have a fairly good set up to tweak. If you normally allow yourself, say, two inches of leeway, you might add another inch to a "series" measurement to account for variations in the data. You have hit on an important aspect of the software: When forced out of your comfort zone, GPS can get you "close" in a snap and chances are high that you'll build a nice ultra-light even if you've been building surf rods!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 09:35AM

Method #1
A = 80
B = 75
C = 90

Method #2
A = 75
B = 40

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 02:18PM

thanks a ton, Jim for the measurements.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: November 14, 2011 05:49PM

The Stradic 1000 on my perch rod measures 1.535, sorry you'll have to convert to mm's.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 09:20AM

Greg: if the measurements provided by Jim are spot on and the performance is good, please let me know so I can add them to the "library" and we won't have to go through this again. I just plugged in these numbers and they look pretty good. Starts with a KL25 at 21 inches. then a KL20, and KL12. They fall 9 inches apart, which will look nice.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster