I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
cork ring glue ?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 02:41PM

I've decided to try to do a cork ring butt handle, so will 5 min. epoxy work and is it water Resistance, or is there better way to do this I looked up pages of this on the search page, but didn't find if the 5 min epoxy would be OK. And would it be sandable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork ring glue ?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 03:05PM

The epoxy will work, but may give you a more apparent seam and be harder to get level with the cork when sanding. A better option is Titebond lll, it is waterproof and used extensively for this purpose by many builders.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: November 10, 2011 03:29PM

The working time with 5-minute epoxy is so short you will probably need to do the assembly in short sections and then assemble the sections as a separate operation.

I use RodDancer Ultimate Gel 15 minute and can get an entire fly grip, with multiple trim rings, done before the epoxy sets.

The important thing when using epoxy on cork is to apply the epoxy to both sides of the ring and then SCRAPE OFF AS MUCH AS YOU CAN prior to assembly and clamping. This leaves virtually no line between rings and yet is plenty strong.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2011 03:35PM

Titebond or Rod Bond. As previously stated, less is more. The strongest bond is achieved with the thinnest layer of adhesive.

Date: November 10, 2011 04:01PM

Thanks for all the help, Now all i neeed to get is the clamp, any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:12PM

Make one yourself - slide the cork rings on a waxed mandrel then

If off the rod
1/ woodworker's clamp & drill a hole in one end.
2/ a piece of All thread and wing nuts. put a soda straw on the all thread so the glue doesn't get on the rod.

if on the rod
two pieces of all thread; two hardwood plates - one with a hole drilled through.

I'm sure there are photos of different tools on the photo page - here are a few:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 04:19PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:13PM

Hi Lorenzo,
Make one. A couple of lengths of 1/4 " threaded rod, a few bits of timber and some wing nuts. A tube in a drill with a slot for the wing nuts will speed it up or you can modify clamps to suit. Check "Equipment and Tools" and do a search.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:15PM

Home depot Threaded rod of the size you want holes are usually 1/4" but then wing nuts to fit the rod Maybe two sizes of flat washers large with small hole and small with hole to fit the rod

I use this all the time You can if you want put wax on the rod when gluing so it does not make the rings stick if using rod bond you DO NOT Need Much at all very thin coat. Tighten the wing nuts with washers on first When dry I loosen one and tighten the other wing nut and the cork gets pushed off the rod - Don't load on the glue not needed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:21PM

I use 1/4-20 threaded rod with 2 fender washers and 2 wingnuts. Low tech, but easy to use and cheap!

[www.homedepot.com]
[www.homedepot.com]
[www.homedepot.com]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Don Morse (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 04:32PM

i use elmers wood glue....works great, i use a squeeze clamp and a threaded rod to keep it straight

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2011 05:07PM

Ultimate Gel is great for this, plenty of time to work with it and it sands well. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: November 10, 2011 05:35PM

As long as it is Water Proof Not resistant - Proof

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 08:12PM

I do all mine just as Walt does, threaded rod, fender washers and I use Titebond III except for the foam or plastic accent pieces, which i use Rod Bond. I have all thread in all sizes ranging from 1/4 to 3/4 .

Ron Weber

Date: November 10, 2011 11:34PM

right! Bill "proof", lol, typing without thinking.lol!

Date: November 11, 2011 07:08AM

Some say = water resistant - which does not mean water proof Ya could have trouble later on

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 11, 2011 02:03PM

One more thing, when you say waxed mandrel, do you mean like candle wax??

Date: November 11, 2011 02:37PM

I never put any thing on it I put three drops of Rod Bond on a ring Then slid the next one onto it Turn it 6 8 turns do the next Never had any problems with a handle breaking

Every once in a while I put the threaded rod on my drill get a fine tooth hack saw blade and as it turns run it over the threads and it cleans them up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 11, 2011 03:43PM

yes some people can do it with out wax but not me, I want to error on the side of getting it a part, so I put wax on every thing, the threaded rod, the end pices [wood] and the washers for the end of cork rings,
the metal rod the cork rings go on , [ put a layer of masking tape on rod befor the wax ] this way you can seperate the the rod out of the rings , better to be safe than sorry , after you do a few them, cut back if you want , candle wax will work but i use bee's it is a little tackey, I like it better

BILL

Date: November 11, 2011 03:50PM

Every one has there own way to do some thing -- Does not make it wrong Just makes it there way and it works for them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2011 05:31PM

Bill,

How do you get 3 Drops of Rod Bond? That's like getting 3 drops of Vaseline!

TiteBond III is water proof but their are probably 1,000's of builders using TiteBond II which is water resistant (along with many other woodworking glues) with NO problems whatsoever. I guess that I'm confused. I believe in experimenting and trying new products, but was not aware that their was any problem with rings coming apart. Has anyone ever had a cork grip separate or come apart in water?? I don't think I have ever heard of it.

Epoxy won't stick to wax, hence the reason for applying candle or canning wax on the mandrel.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster