I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Under Wrap
Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: November 09, 2011 08:58AM

I have a 7 fot bait casting rod that i would like to change out the eyes to micro eyes, question will under wrap effect the action of the rod?

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under Wrap
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 09:02AM

Doubtful that you would notice any significant difference - but they're not needed either. If for decorative purposes you can put trim bands on the outside of the standing wraps pretty easily

Date: November 09, 2011 09:06AM

thank you ver much, this is my first rod to rebuild and those little eyes are a bugger tokeep in place.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2011 09:16AM

Underwraps do not affect rod action (where the rod initially flexes), they do, however, affect rod "speed" (response and recovery time).

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 09:21AM

You'll a much greater reduction in weight if you take the underwraps off.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 09:50AM

Less weight means less inertia. And that means faster recovery. The weight of the thread and epoxy finish is a lot more than you would guess.

Date: November 09, 2011 09:58AM

Thanks was going to use the underwarp to cover up some of the ugly place where the larger eyes were removed.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 10:02AM

Bobby -
Can you post a photo? Reason I ask is that, depending on what you're trying to cover, you may be better off cleaning off the area carefully and applying something like permaglos to restore the shine??

Date: November 09, 2011 10:11AM

It will be tonight before i can post a photo, thanks for the information never thought about permaglos. I have a lot to learn at 61 I am slow."

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 12:24PM

Another thing, with going to micro guides, the places where they will go will not always be where the old guides were at. I would suggest stripping the rod completely of guides and finish and redo the entire blank with a finish. Permagloss is nice if you want a glossy finish, but if you want more of a matte finish I would suggest using this: [www.woodturnerscatalog.com]

I have done my last few rods where I completely refinished them using this for the blank and have had very good results. It just takes a couple of coats of the finish wiped on and then take off the access. You get a nice matte finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 12:39PM

You can also strip the blank and wet sand 400 the bad spots then say 600 the whole thing Dry it and done No finish over graphite needed

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 03:59PM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 09, 2011 03:35PM

Thanks for all of the suggestion, i happy that i found this site, wating for my first Rod Builders Mag to arrive. You all make it much easier to enjoy rod building

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster