I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Handles
Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 11:46AM

Is anyone making their own split grip handles. I see kits available but don't see any I really like. I've never made one so if anyone could tell me what I would need I would appreciate it. I'm using a St. Croix 4S70MF blank.
It will be a spinning rod. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Handles
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 11:53AM

All it takes is making the rear grip in 2 pieces and shaping them the way you want. Not much to it really.

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2011 11:57AM

I've made some split handled grips,
i don't know how technical it is, but they look and work fine. as my first attempt, i started with eva grips and just split one, and shaved them down to taper and curve where i wanted. i don't have a lath, but i do have a drill press that i mounted horizontaly and used it to spin my EVA grip. just got to get the right grit paper and finish with a finer grit.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 12:36PM

And you can also just use a pair of 2" or 21/2" cork or EVA grips at each end of the reel seat, and then a Fly Rod style short Fighting Butt for the end.
7" to 9" for the distance from butt end of reel seat to butt end of rod seems to work well in most cases.
if you want really split, try a "skeleton" spin reel seat with Batson black nylon "FBWC" or metal "FAWC" trim rings on the open inside part.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 12:54PM

Ron,
In addition, you can just leave the fore grip off of the rod. Just use a nice winding check at the front of the reel seat and save the effort and cost of putting a fore grip on the rod. Really not much use for a fore grip for most rods anyway.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2011 03:15PM

I don't use a foregrip on spinning rods unless it's a big one like a catfish or carp rod. For bass and panfish I just use a winding check or a little epoxy ramp.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 03:59PM

It depends on how you hold it and if you mount the threaded end "uplock" or "downlock"

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 04:17PM

yes, I make all of mine. Get some cork rings, glue together, clamp, ream. pick up a cork jig for cutting if you want to inlay.

Posted by: Andrew Lang (208.60.60.---)
Date: November 08, 2011 04:54PM

I am building the same rod in the SC-V and I made a split grip using a handle kit from Mudhole. I got the 12' graphite handle with the aero comfort reel seat. I cut the graphite tube down so it it just long enough for my hand with a little extra. On the bottom I used a tapered EVA butt-cap. I didn't use a fore-grip but just put an aluminum winding check on. I think it looks awesome and I have yet to see any kit like it. Total investment was less than $35, and there is enough of the graphite tube left to make at least 2 more of these handles if you buy a couple more reel seats.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 05:11PM

Knock yourself out with split grips. Nothing more than you cutting what ever type material you want to size for the grip or grips. I have done them in EVA and cork.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 06:16PM

Just like making a long grip -- just two short setions

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.gci.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 07:55PM

Just completed on for a buddy in Miss. for speckle trout I dont know what that is but he catches a lot of them.
Made a 4 in. lower out of EVA and covered the remaining blank up to the real seat with rattle snake the real seat then a 4 inch grip and a winding check looks great

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.221.---)
Date: November 09, 2011 12:03PM

I make all my split grips from cork rings turned on a 5/16 in threaded rod in my drill press. If you make a lot of rods you may want to make a template of your favorite shapes so you can duplicate them efficiently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster