I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

boat rod help
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:17PM

I have been asked to build several boat rods for a boat owner/angler who fishes offshore of central Florida's east coast. He has specified a 6 1/2' rod for #20-#40 line, a fast tip, a powerful butt, a gimble butt, a slick butt - and they are to be spin rods. Any suggestions? [I confess I would rather direct him to a factory-built rod than charge him for the uncertain reception and the labor of custom-built rods.]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: boat rod help
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:59PM

It might help if you knew what he intended to do with them. These days that list might suggest vertical jigging rods.

I just did one on a conventional build where the slick butt can be much shorter. I used a pac bay channel lock seat, perfection ball gimbal, and american tackle 8" smooth butt. It looks sharp but it added a ton of extra weight.

I have a st. croix sc3 that I plan to build as a 30# spinner. No way I'd consider adding that much extra weight. I'm not even sure you could get a long enough slick butt.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Best I can do is suggest you find out his plans....style of fishing, bait, intended fish, etc.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 02:19PM

get rid of some weight with these [www.mudhole.com] graphite seat

he does not need a gimbel - it's a spinning rod will not spin on him Guides are at the lowest point But if he wants one ??

Build him Plain Jane rods no frills

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 05:38PM

Batson RCLB70M, cut 6 inches off the butt. RCLB's are amazing, super light, and very affordable. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.3.37.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 12:40PM

The gimbal is not for rod twist, it's so people can use a fighting belt. Are these for sailfish possibly? They may be trolling out of a rod holder, then switching tp using a gimbal belt when hooked up.

Date: November 08, 2011 02:39PM

Yes it is It is for a casting rod with guides on top to keep it from twisting so the reel stays on top

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 05:40PM

I have built on the rclb70m that GEt Bit suggests. The first thing I thought of reading the post. Real nice blank. Put a gimbal on if they want it.

Date: November 08, 2011 07:05PM

Spiral wrap it Nice and easy to fish with Looks funny -- but

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.autoregister.wesleyan.edu)
Date: November 09, 2011 05:30AM

Gimbals prevent the rod itself from flipping on a conventional rod, yes, but that is only one of their purposes, not their only purpose! On a conventional rod, the guides/blank may still twist over even if the butt is held in place by the gimbal, so the gimbal only holds the reel portion upright. Gimbals are also used so someone can use a fighting belt to gain more control over the rod and fight larger fish more efficiently. Gimbals also help keep rods properly aligned in the rod holders when trolling. If a conventional trolling rod did not have a gimbal, the weight of the reel would pull the reel to the bottom and the rod would be upside down. Not a good thing if you are using rollers since the line would rub on the frame and not the roller! Gimbals are not just to control rod twist! I build spinning rods for jigging and popping and they have gimbals so people can use a fighting belt for better control. I wouldn't put a gimbal on a freshwater bass spinning rod, but on a rod that can see larger fish, why not if it helps the person fight the fish better?

Based on your description of the slick butt and fast tip, powerful butt, I'm thinking sailfish rods or something like that for trolling. Gimbal is a good thing to have, but you may be able to use a graphite or rubber gimbal depending on how exactly they will be using the rods to save weight.

Date: November 09, 2011 04:50PM

Ya your right Even to put one on and not use it It can be covered if not used Good to have and not need

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster