I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problems with FlexCoat
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 12:46AM

I stopped using FlexCoat about 16 years ago do the fact that other epoxy’s like TM and Prokote are clearer and have less bubbles is that just because I my of had a bad batch of FlexCoat of the 80's or is it still the same way as in it does not hold up in the long run like in the sun as most rods done with FC that I would see would tend to be turning yellow in color and dry hard and brittle after time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with FlexCoat
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 06:29AM

Get a small batch of it I have started using it and the new stuff flows nice and is clear As for how it holds up I don;t know Bit it is nice A little longer set time then TM

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2011 07:30AM

No epoxy produces bubbles - bubbles are introduced by the person doing the mixing and/or brushing.

All epoxies will turn amber or yellow after some period of time.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 08:17AM

Flex Coat is all I use now.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 08:48AM

Flex coat is great for an epoxy. I don't get it near a rod as a finish. TM is my finish and is second to none.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: November 07, 2011 09:00AM

I had no problems with flexcoat or FC Lite when I was using it. I Use TM Lite now but would switch back to FC products if TM were to become short supply. I think the TM Lite might have a little longer pot life I couldn't prove it.. I switched to TM ( to try it) because of posts on this and other forums. I really couldn't prove to myself that there was a difference. The only reason for not switching back is my syringes have been used with TM and I would ned new syringes and have to drill holes in new caps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 09:05AM by Bruce Johnstone.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 09:14AM

As long as you use the syringes with the same portion of the finish Resin to resin You should not have any problems I have switched when using TM or Flex coat No problems

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 11:03AM

In head to head testing by an independent laboratory, ProKote was proven to yellow less than the other brands listed above. In 1,500 hours of weatherometer (WOM) Xenon Arc testing by an independent laboratory, tests on ProKöte™ note an 87% clarity retention compared to the leading manufacturer (Flex Coat) , while UV Yellowing was the lowest of ALL brands tested (including Thread Master). Laboratory Tests note that ProKöte™ Rod Building Finish is 207% better at non-yellowing and 187% better at a 60 degree gloss reflectiveness than the leading brand of rod building finish. Controlled laboratory testing proved dramatic superiority over the other brands. ProKöte™ Rod Finish proved to be the #1 brand of thread finish epoxy for rod builders to utilize when a non-yellowing, superior clarity and a good bubble release finish is desired. See the test samples in the photo link below:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 11:46AM

Hmmmm. Another independent lab testing report showed TM to be the clearest and most resistant to yellowing. So much for finish tests.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 05:13PM

While bubbles may be introduced, an epoxy that is able to release the bubbles best is wanted. I just started using threadmaster and got 25min of workable mixture from a 6cc batch. I left it in the mix cup. No need to pour out on foil. I'm a happy camper now. Before I would have to mix two batches to get through my guides, butt wrap and split grip. Not anymore.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 05:49PM

The difference in clarity between the clearest of epoxies is essentially indiscernable. I think what is most important is how they look after significant exposure to sunlight. Prokote is so new, that only time will tell how they hold up. I have however found that the pot life of the Prokote is longer than the TM, at least in my experience - a welcome feature for my time-intensive application efforts. That being said, they both seem to set up almost identically. I haven't used flex coat for quite a while, a long enough time ago that I can't say that it would be any better or worse of a product to use for my current application techniques.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.6.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 08, 2011 11:47AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as you use the syringes with the same
> portion of the finish Resin to resin You should
> not have any problems I have switched when using
> TM or Flex coat No problems

A second to this. I've got one set of syringes going, and use them with three different brands of thread finish.

I've come to the conclusion that all brands are pretty much alike, and work ok. Oh, they each have small diffferences in application, but once you learn these, you can do a good job with any. I typically use three: Flexcoat Lite, Threadmaster High Build, and Prokote.

Posted by: chris mani (---.sbr801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 26, 2011 09:02AM

I recently used Pro Kote for the first time on 2 rods and found that it retains bubbles so much that I probably won't use it again, which is a pity because every other aspect of it was good. Never had this problem with TM, and don't want the hassle of pouring on foil etc.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2011 01:19AM

It sounds as if maybe you got a old batch of ProKote because Prokote does not get bubbles in it even if mixed extra fast as that is what makes most bubbles in the first place with all finishes out there today and when id comes to the hassle of using foil with ProKote I never use anything but plastic mixing cups and have never had a problem with them so get a new batch of ProKote and give it a try and always flame your epoxy to get the bubbles out no matter what you use.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: ted jones (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:44AM

I have been repairing and making rods for a very long time. I switched from FC to Prokote to prove to myself which product was better. Without a doubt, Prokote has longer pot life, a much clearer brighter finish and I almost never have to flame Prokote epoxy to get bubbles out.. Of course I guess I'm old and set in my ways, but I don't care what you use to flame your epoxy, this is where yellowing begins. I am able to slowly mix Procote and remove bubbles prior to applying finish "without" using tin foil. When using FC it was impossible for me to finish a 9 to 10 guide rod with one mixing. Prokote solved the problem. I do agree that only time will tell if the yellowing issue is true.

Posted by: Rich Connors (---.globalcrossing.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 12:30PM

I've been using FC Lite since I ventured into rod building two years ago. Up to now I've been pretty happy with it except for two things...1.) short pot life and 2.) Even though I'm careful not to create bubbles while mixing, inevitably it happens....I do the foil thing,...blow on it...warm it, etc. The bubbles just don't seem to release as easily.

Decided to give ProKote a try on a current build. After the first coat, so far, I am thoroughly impressed...bubbles release much more easily. I had a ton of bubbles in the mix prior to pouring it out on foil...I spread it out and blew on it and found that about 90% of the bubble disappear. I noticed even more dissipate after a few minutes. If there are any bubbles caused by me applying it to the wraps I hit it with BubbleBuster which incidentally did help with FC Lite but not as well...for me anyway..

If I have to voice one negative about ProKote...is that the setup up time is waaaaayyy longer than other epoxies but I'm guessing that's how it's able to level out so nice and release bubbles for a longer period of time. Almost forgot...due to the longer pot life I was able to apply to 8 guides vs. the usual 3 or 4.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster