I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on a travel rod
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 09:37AM

Whenever I'm on a vacation trip I'll usually bring along a couple of multi-piece rods that will fit in a suitcase or duffel bag. Usually a light/medium spinning rod and an 8-wt fly rod. I sometimes have an opportunity to do some pier or dock fishing but my regular travel spinning rod is too light for any serious bottom fishing. What I need is a conventional rod in a multi-piece configuration that is heavy enough for this type of fishing. There don't appear to be any multi-piece blanks available that fit this application. I'm thinking of getting a one-piece boat rod blank and installing two ferrules to make it a three-piece. I suppose I can use the old plated brass type of ferrule. Has anybody attempted a rod like this? Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on a travel rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 10:30AM

if you can't find any spin blanks 4- 5 pc Then build a fly blank into a spin

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 10:41AM

Batson has an RX6 9' 5pc 8wt, which means about 22" sections that should work great.

Ron Weber

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 11:07AM

Rob,
I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Here's are some inexpensive fiberglass blanks that might fit the bill. If the experiment fails, you wouldn't be out too much money.
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 11:49AM

Take a look at these: [www.batsonenterprises.com] . There might be something that will work.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: November 06, 2011 12:44PM

PacBay has some 5 pc also in there matrix blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:04PM

Batson has the IC847-3 peacock bass/ pike/ salmon etc. blank. Angler's Workshop still had some of the 3 piece travel boat rod blanks Lamiglas built about 5-6 years ago, they are I believe 20 and 30 lb test rated blanks. At any rate, last I looked, they had half a barrel of them that were going out the door in the $50 range. Equivulent 1 piece blanks would be the CGBT 84 1L and 1M.
Angler's Workshop also carries their own line of blanks, they have an IM6 3 piece, 9 ft, salmon blank that may work depending on your needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2011 01:14PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: November 06, 2011 09:48PM

Thanks guys. Seems like there's a few options out there. By the way, to clarify, I'm building a conventional rod, not spinning.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 09:52PM

Rob,

Get ahold of Mark Crouse. He works with European travel blanks, and will likely have something if one of the other options don't fit the bill. By the way, the blank doesn't care what type of reel you put on it.

Joe

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 10:04PM

I am really confused now. I build spinning rods, and fly rods, and know people that build casting rods. What is a conventional rod?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: November 06, 2011 10:12PM

Conventional rod is a casting rod guides on top

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 06, 2011 10:33PM

Mike Bradford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am really confused now. I build spinning rods,
> and fly rods, and know people that build casting
> rods. What is a conventional rod?

Mike,

It's a term that's used in saltwater environments to describe a rod intended for revolving spool reels (not counting fly reels). What you might call a "casting rod'. Typically it's a boat rod or a surf casting rod for revolving spool reels.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 07:27PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rob,
>
> Get ahold of Mark Crouse. He works with European
> travel blanks, and will likely have something if
> one of the other options don't fit the bill. By
> the way, the blank doesn't care what type of reel
> you put on it.
>
> Joe

Great advise. Mark has pointed me in the right direction for an UL pack rod for mountain lakes. No one makes one in 4pc for spinning, so he hunted down the perfect 4pc fly blank for me. Great guy!

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: November 08, 2011 05:31AM

Batson SP 720-4 for an ultralite 4 piece spin blank. I know thats not what you originally asked, but since you just mentioned nobody made one, i thought i would steer you towards it for future use. It is a great little blank 6 ft long 2-6 pound line rating, light as a feather and breaks down to under 20 inches.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: November 08, 2011 12:46PM

I should have clarified in my response, no one makes one thats 7' or 7'-6". Being that my main application will be mountain lakes I want the extra casting distance and long range control a longer rod will give me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster