I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help thin cork accent rings
Posted by: Michael Day (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2011 07:56PM

I just built up another fly rod and used black rubber/fiber sheet to add thin black accent rings. It went ok but there has to be something out there better for this.
The problem is once glued up they become harder to sand than the adjacent cork rings and therefor stand out above the cork and need special attention to make look somewhat ok.
I have used thin black plastic from DVD cases and have the same problem. I have used burnt cork but too hard to sand down to the thinness that I want.
Is there something out there that someone can recommend? And where can I find it. The example is the thin black rings used in Burkheimer's custom rods handles.
Thanks Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help thin cork accent rings
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 08:23PM

Michael,
Your issue is common when you get into special techniques. The key thing to do is to use a sanding block with the sanding paper. The sanding block will prevent sanding low spots in the softer material.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 09:03PM

As Roger states above, it is a common problem when you combine materials of different densitys. To work them effectively, you must take special care to not cut the softer cork below the level of the other material. Also as Roger mentions using a flat block to sand allows you to better take down the harder substance to a level with the cork. I also find I can use a very sharp tool such as a small chisel or parting tool to address only the material other then the cork cutting it to the desired level then sanding the cork down to match it. Care and patience with a light touch!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 05, 2011 09:20PM

We did an article on this in a past issue of RodMaker. The key is to do most of your shaping and sanding as is, and then just before the final sanding, you use a single edge razor blade to shave the high area of the foam very cleanly, followed by the last bit of sanding. The final result is a very level and smooth overall surface.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:55AM

Michael,

For very thin accent rings I've used thin sheets of wood veneer that I purchase from my local Woodcraft Store which eliminates some of the problem you mentioned. You can buy packets of all one color or a variety pack. Keep in mind that you will need to glue 2 or more sheets together to keep the wood from splitting when you bore the hole necessary to glue up your grip. The wood is very thin and will cut with household scissors. Hope this helps.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sam

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 10:42AM

sam made a good suggestion to your problem. one thing to try for boring those thin sheets of veneer or other thin materials. you can use a single paper hole punch or traditional punch. it will allow you to keep your thin material flat and supported without putting pressure to crack the material. you can also just sandwich it between two sacrificial pieces to give it support and drill it out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:13PM

Thin cork can be had as gasket material, cork/rubber for darker trim rings, and you used to be able to get some color variety by looking at different manufacturers. When I was in the trades, getting cork remenants from places that also custom cut gaskets onsite was very easy and free for the taking.

Posted by: Leigh Englehart (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 07:11AM

i use burnt cork and mudhole's cork ring slicing jig shimed as per instructions" to create slices as thin as 1/32". 1 1/4 fender washers make good shims, they all seem to be different thickness. find a thick one and your good to go. rubberized cork rings make for very durable edges too. but its harder to cut.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 12:37PM

It may sound goofy, but plastic soap bottle, bleach bottles, plastic, coffee cans, etc make GREAT trim rings. Cut the flat sections out of anything you find and either cut them up in 1 1/2" squares or use a 1 1/2" hole saw to cut rings. Glue them up in your grip and you're good to go! Go to a "Dollar Store" or Goodwill type store and browse around. Think outside of the box!! I have made rings out of plastic place mats, bowls, cutting boards, etc. You can get a Lot of rings out of an 89 cent floor tile.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-69-98-149.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 02:44PM

I have been using EVA foam for thin bands and mixed with cork for checkers in grips. When using EVA for making checker patterns I use metal circle clamps and don't tighten them too much as the EVA will crush and bulge out. I have had good success with EVA and like the multitude of colors available. Just an idea for you.

Doug Webb

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2011 08:16PM

My key has been sharp tools, sanding block, and I cheat by taping of the softer cork while I take down the ridge of the harder matterial. Also, drywall sanding screens and work well but will tear the tape in a second...best to use a sanding block with light touch with sanding screen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster