I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions about guides for trolling rods
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 04, 2011 02:07PM

I'm getting with the program on guide sizes and 27X layout for my spinning rods. I suppose I tend to use an extra reduction guide but overall I'm please with the results and it is a fast and easy method. I notice many advise one or two "reduction" guides and then all the rest size on baitcasters.

My question is what is the current thinking on offshore trolling rods? I'm not fishing anything very heavy. Call it 15-40# pound class with most in the 20-30# range. I don't like turbo style guides so lets leave them out. Blanks are generally 7 foot live bait type composites.

So say you had a 7 foot fast action blank rated 20-40 and you were going to mount a 113HN (baja special) on it. Say line is 65# braid with a 100 yard top shot of 30# mono. Knots would be albright or loop to loop (bimini twist). Primary use is trolling but the ability to cast or bottom fish is required. What would your guide type/sizes look like? Also, approximate distance from center line of reel to butt guide in terms of min/max range.

Then how about we change the reel to a 3/0 sized wide spool reel. What would change on the guide train if anything? Brand names/insert types/frame materials and all such info is appreciated.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about guides for trolling rods
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 03:22PM

Personally, I would use the Amtak Virtus lite guides either titanium or black with nanolite ring.

either 20 or 25 for stripper guide down to a 10 for the smallest guide and tip top ring.

As for placement, thats something you will have to do. Place the grips and reelseat on the rod, place the reel on the rod and tape the guides on and get your static placement squared away. your first guide will be a few inches in front of the grip OR wherever the backbone of the blank starts to allow flex when stressing the blank.

As for changing to the 3/0. first size 25 would be my only modification.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 03:43PM

I'd second that guide choice. Static Deflection will determine your spacing

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 03:49PM

Also do the Straight Edge from the center of the reel -- after taking the spool off and using the spool shaft to the chock guide and you will get a good idea of where and how many and size to use

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 10:39PM

Qoute "you were going to mount a 113HN (baja special) on it" sorry Bill!

Date: November 05, 2011 08:38AM

If this is your reel you will use you don't need the spinning rod set up for the guides [www.basspro.com]
That is a casting reel ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 11:05AM

Bill I think in the first paragraph Russ was saying he had the spinning rod set up down. Then he asked about offshore/trolling rod setups.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: November 05, 2011 01:06PM

My bad

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 10:35PM

Ken, I like the virtus lite line a lot too. Interesting that you would go with a bigger guide for a smaller, wider, reel than a bigger, much taller, reel. Once I would have said the same. After taping up the guides I dunno....that 113hn is a beast.

So I'll assume most are still going with something like a 16, 12 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7 for a fast action 20# trolling stick with a smaller reel like an avet sx. Say compared to a 16, 10, and all 7's like the baitcaster crowd is leaning towards........right????

And yes Bill, it is a casting reel...albeit a very big and very bad casting reel:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Allan Armacost (136.160.191.---)
Date: November 07, 2011 03:56AM

Just put the AmTak Virtus on a 7' Seeker Hercules, build it for wreck fishing. Fishing a Penn Senator 113 I went 25 on down and ran 10's to a 10 tip.

Date: November 07, 2011 06:34AM

What about doing a Spiral wrap ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 07, 2011 07:59AM

Bill, I do like a spiral wrap. It is a hard sell in my area though....and they sure aren't the norm. I was curious what the "norm" is for those that build a lot of light/medium saltwater trolling rods

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 07, 2011 08:56AM

Got to let people try them in order for them to feel how nice they are I got 6 I am trying to get rid of ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 09:22AM

Spiral wraps on trolling rods - here people look at them, ask questions about them but seldom buy them. "just too unusual" even after folks have fished with them. Personally I use them & like them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster