I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch rod questions.
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:32PM

Hi all,

For my next build, I want to dabble in 2 handed fly casting, and after some research, I have decided on a switch rod. Now, I live nowhere near salmon or steelhead water, but plan on lake fishing for warmwater species, primarily streamer fishing.

Questions, what type of taper would be recommended for this style of switch fishing(Skagit, Scandi, Spey)? Do I match the rod weight with what I would normally use on a standard one handed rod? What is the best line head length for stripping in steamers and "shooting" the largest amount of running line?

Thank you for any responses as I am fairly new to this concept of two handed casting, but see the added distance a great andvantage while lake fishing, not to mention no need for a backcast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 01:34PM by Josh Clawson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch rod questions.
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: November 02, 2011 03:04PM

I would look at a 5 or 6wt switch blank and throw a skagit or scandi line depending on how big and heavy you streamers are. The current generation of skagit short lines work well with switch rods. So does Wolff Ambush lines. Just buy the line and add 5 - 15 feet of "tip" to work with your casting stroke. Forget what you know about "wt" and work with "grain window". A 6wt switch will require a much heavier line then a normal 6wt overhead line. Feel free to contact me off line ([email protected]). This conversation is probably of little interest to the rod building community unless you want to start talking about the rod build and blank selection.

Batson, PacBay, Meiser, Angler's Roost all make lower cost blanks ($60 - $160).

Quinn

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.sub-174-253-134.myvzw.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 03:27PM

Quinn, thanks for the quick response, and your probably right about the subject matter of my post.
I do have a couple of questions concerning the build though.
Grip length(fore and rear) what is typical or at least a guideline to start from?
Will a standard fly guide set up work or should I look at something else, ceramics?
Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 03:48PM

This should help [www.meiserflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 03:55PM

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: November 03, 2011 01:04PM

Your best bet for lake fishing streamers is an overhead cast. For many spey casts to include skagit you need to have a "set up" which in many cases the line needs to be at a 90 deg from the caster (downstream) and for lake fishing it is not really posilbe. Now not to say that you can't I have done it before with a variation of the Perry Poke but it is by no means the best tool for the job. If you have the room (back cast) a Rio outbound or other similar head in an over head cast is MUCH MUCH better. You can strip it in and pull it out strait back using the water as an anchor, one trip back with the line and shoot. Batson switch rods are nice I have built the 5, 7, and 8wt. The 5 wt will toss a 270gr-300gr head a mile while carriing a nice size payload.
If you any further questions I would be glad to help. Best of luck.

Grip lenth Front is typicly 1 inch longer than the rod length in inches (10'8" batson I use a 12" fore)
Rear is a bit of choice on your part. If you have large hands and will be using the rod in a 2 handed configuration a lot make it longer 5" or so. If you will use it in a single hand mode more the longer rear grip gets in the way so make it shorter 3"-3.5" I would suggest holding the rod and doing some false casting (with on line) and make what is confertable for you.

Guides- IMHO snake with a 16, 12 stripper. No need for ceramics.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 01:05PM by Eric Viburs.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 03, 2011 01:58PM

IF1086
Rainshadow RX7 Switch Rod

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # IF1086-4M 10'8" 4pc 6wt Switch Rod Blank - Matte Clear
Butt cap: SWHDCCBC20F Switch Grip Hard Density Cork Composite Butt Cap with Flare
Reel Seat: RYFW-SG Y Fly Seat with Stabilized Light Burl Insert with Butt Cap & Trim Ring - Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Rear Grip: SW325S-300 3.25" Rear Switch Grip Super Grade ID .300"
Fore Grip: SW1175S-300 11.75" Fore Switch Grip Super Grade ID .300"
Winding Check: LTCWC365 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check .365" I.D.
Hookeeper: FHK-TC Folding Hook Keeper-Tich
Tip Top XTCHFTL4.5 ALPS SS316-Titanium Carbide Pltd Fly TopLarge Loop 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCHSFGP ALPS SS316- Single Foot Fly Guide TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCLXNZG ALPS SS316-LXN Guide w/'Z' Ring - TiCh w/o chrome

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XTCHSFGP3 4"
2nd XTCHSFGP3 9.375"
3rd XTCHSFGP3 15.5"
4th XTCHSFGP3 22.75"
5th XTCHSFGP4 31"
6th XTCHSFGP4 40.5"
7th XTCHSFGP4 51.25"
8th XTCHSFGP5 63.75"
9th XTCLXNZG12 78"
10th XTCLXNZG16 94.25"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 10:59AM

You dont need current to spey cast. There is a great casting demo for lake casting on you tube. I don't have time right now to find it and post the link but you can spey cast anywhere with some adaptation.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: November 04, 2011 12:46PM

Not saying you need current to spey cast just saying that Skagit is not the best set up for a lake situation that is all. Skagit lines are designed to carry heavy sink tips and wieghted flies. You can lake fish just fine with a sinking line and longer leader, if fact better than a sink tip. Just wanted him to do is homework before spending all kinds of money on lines and what not to find out it was not what he was looking for......

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 04, 2011 02:48PM

Okay, I'm curious. Any point is this technique for pure distance reasons alone? I'm thinking salt water....perhaps even surf....where longer casts can make the difference. Assume there is nothing behind me to prevent normal overhand casting motion.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster