I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod finish
Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.nstci.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 11:38AM

I can't get my rod finish to dry, its staying tacky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod finish
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 11:47AM

What finish are you using?
How long has it been curing?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2011 11:53AM

If your curing epoxy is being kept at room temperature and has not dried to the touch after about 24 to 30 hours, you can almost certainly by assured that you did not measure and/or mix the 2 parts properly.

You can apply a 2nd application over what you have now, and provided you carefully measure and mix it, the epoxy should cure normally and rectify your current problem.

Date: November 02, 2011 12:40PM

Flex Coat Lite over 24 hrs. We had a drop in temp.

Date: November 02, 2011 01:13PM

Indoors? How much of a crop are you talking about?

Date: November 02, 2011 01:57PM

temp droped about 15 degre 80's to the 60's put it's warmed back up. I recoated again today and I put the finish under a lamp for a little while, maybe that will help.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 01:05AM

I agree with what Tom says as Flex Coat is known for drying tacky and if your second coat still comes out tacky you my want to sand down the tacky finish before doing a third coat.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2011 06:03AM

Glenn McMurrian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with what Tom says as Flex Coat is known
> for drying tacky and if your second coat still
> comes out tacky you my want to sand down the tacky
> finish before doing a third coat.

I have NEVER had an issue with Flexcoat drying tacky, period.

Date: November 03, 2011 07:58AM

No, Flex Coat is not at all known for drying "tacky." That sort of thing is always user error.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2011 09:04AM

The only time I had a problem with Flex Coat was due to my mistake of NOT mixing the correct amounts of each part. You must be absolutely sure that you have 50% of each part and mix/stir for at least 2 minutes. I was able to apply a 3rd coat which solved my tacky finish problem. I also put each part/bottle in a bowl of hot water before mixing which seems to make the process of measuring & mixing easier.

Date: November 03, 2011 09:29AM

Thanks for the info, I put a 3rd coat on yesterday working fine. I did warm it some this time.

Thanks for the help

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 09:47AM

I have just started to use Flex Coat again And find that it takes a little longer to dry then most but flows very well and is clear Over night even in the cold dry well

Just hope it stays clear a Fair amount of time

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:13AM

Sorry if I am sort of getting off the subject a bit but I stopped using FlexCoat about 16 years ago do the fact that other epoxy’s like TM and Prokote are clearer and have less bubbles is that just because I my of had a bad batch of FlexCoat of the 80's or is it still the same way as in it does not hold up in the long run like in the sun.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-69-98-149.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 03:07PM

The only problem I ever had with Flex Coat was a couple of months ago after many years of good use. While talking to my 20 yr old daughter I mixed part A twice. within a couple of hours of being turned I saw it was not setting up. What a lot of fun cleaning that up!!!!!!! Old men should not be or allow themselves to be distracted while preparing a layout or mixing epoxy's or maybe I should have quite having kids sooner.

Doug Webb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 03:52PM

That is why I mark all with LARGE Letters

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster