I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide weight comparison?
Posted by: Craig Clements (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:26AM

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has compared the weight of the smallest (4) recoil micro guides to the other " normal" micros in say, sizes 3 or 2 1/2?

Thanks,

craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide weight comparison?
Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 10:24AM

I have this, although it is not the comparison you asked for. The weight is in grains, not grams. weights on an electronic powder scale.
6 of the Fuji CLAG 4.0J weighs 5.7 grains
6 of the Fuji CLAG 4.5 j weighs 8.7 grains
1 ea. CYAG 20 = 39.9 grains
1 ea. CYAG 16 = 27.1 grains
1 ea. CYAG 12 = 16.4 grains
1 ea. CYAG 10 = 10.3 grains
1 ea CYAG 8 = 7.2 grains
1 MCAT4.5-4.5 tip top = 2.6 grains

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 10:39AM

Mudhole has a chart on their site: [www.mudhole.com] that has the weights for Fuji & American Tackle micro guides.
That might be what you need.

Posted by: Craig Clements (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 10:52AM

Thanks Matthew,

that's a great reference, but I don't see where they list the weight..

Craig

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:50AM

You can have 6-7 of the other micros for the price of the REC, I also don't know if more thread/epoxy and therefore weight is needed to wrap that guide compared to the others. It may be we are in the realm of diminished return for the money spent, only you can find that out for sure unless you want to wait for someone else do a build and destroy to get the correct info.

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: November 01, 2011 12:10PM

I don't have any REC micros but I just weight their snakes and the weight is in the 1.5 grain range for size 4 guides. Honestly don't think there is enough weight difference to matter. The are good reasons to choose one over the other but weight is not one of them.

Quinn

Date: November 01, 2011 12:54PM

Craig Clements Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Matthew,
>
> that's a great reference, but I don't see where
> they list the weight..
>
> Craig

Sorry about that Craig, I just looked over it really quick and assumed they were there.

Date: November 01, 2011 12:54PM

Craig Clements Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Matthew,
>
> that's a great reference, but I don't see where
> they list the weight..
>
> Craig

Sorry about that Craig, I just looked over it really quick and assumed they were there.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 05:58PM

So if you replace five 4.5 Fugi CLAG micros with 4.0 Fugi micros you have a weight saving of 5 x 3 grains, or 15 grains, or .0343 ounces, or a bit over two one thousandths of a pound.
I'm ashamed to admit that the low-class types I fish with probably couldn't feel or appreciate the difference.

Date: November 01, 2011 06:44PM

Phil, the weight savings by using the 4.0 CLAG vs the 4.5 CLAG guides is only 3.0 grains. The weight I listed listed is for 6 each of the guides. The weight difference would be only 0.5 grains per guide. And, yes you are right, probably never notice the weight difference. Skimping on the epoxy would probably make more difference than that.
1 pound = 16 ounces = 7000 grains -- man, those grains are really small!!
1 ounce = 437.5 grains
1 ounce = 28.35 grams
The percentage difference is the significant figure. The 4.0 CLAG is about 2/3 of the weight of the 4.5 CLAG
As was covered in Emory Harry's article about guide weight and rod performance, epoxy and thread will be more than the guide weight. I was just trying to skimp on the total guide train weight.
Bill

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:28PM

So switching from six 4.5 CLAG's to six 4.0 CLAG's represents a weight saving of 4.3 millionths of a pound. Wow. Just finding a scale that could accurately measure a weight of 4.3 millionths of a pound would be difficult. Even tougher to find an instrument which could quantify the difference adding or subtracting 4.3 millionths of a pound would make in the action of a seven foot fishpole. Of course if you reduced each thread wrap by a sixteenth of a turn you might reduce the finished weight of the rod by another ten or fifteen millionths of a pound and those weight savings do add up, especially in the marketing hype.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 12:08AM

Craig:
Summary -
Light weight is great, but don't get paranoid over it. Just use common sense and use the components that you are comfortable to work with, and give you the desired results.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 02, 2011 09:33AM

Even a balance beam gun powder scale can weigh 0.1 grain accurately. Cost is pretty low. Everyone who loads ammunition has one.
Why use heavy when light works?
Roger, you are right. That is why I didn't use 2 mm guides.
However I did use 000 silk thread, because i like the way it looks and it is really light.
All the measuring was just for the notebook and to satisfy me about how much the thread and epoxy weighs.
Bottom line is the the thread & epoxy weighs more than the "micro" guides and performance is what counts, not market hype.
BTW the rod is fantastic. Throws a mile. Thanks Gary L.& Jon B. & Karen H. for what I think is the best Smallie rod EVER!!

Posted by: Craig Clements (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 10:49AM

Interesting, Thank You!

So now my understanding is that micro guides are light enough that small differnces do not affect measureable performance changes. So micro recoils are used when looking for the durability/corrosion performance. Also from what I garnerd above, there is no real world difference between say, a 3mm and a 4mm micro guide of the same type?

One thing I noticed with the weight listed for 6 CLAG 4.0j guides (which apparently not marketed as "micro") is 5.7 grains. I found Forecast is nice enough to publish the grain weight of their MK micro guides. 6 Forecast 4.0 MK micros would weigh 9.6 grains!

Am I on the right track now?

Craig

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster