I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Effect of trimming a rod
Posted by: Julian Ferras (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 01:12PM

I have a 6' 6" rod blank with a line rating of 2 - 6 lbs. I want to trim the rod to 6' 0" and maintain the same line rating. Can I do that by trimming 3" from the butt and 3" from the tiip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effect of trimming a rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 01:30PM

Julian,
If you want to keep the same light tip on the rod, do all of your rod trimming from the butt of the rod. By doing all of the trimming from the butt end of the rod , you will still have the nice light tip that is currently on the rod. If you start to trim from the tip of the rod, you will quickly be turning the blank into a clubby rod that will not be very good for doing this light line fishing.

When you check into a manufacturers given line of a specific action and find that they have a series of rods that run from 5 1/ to 7 feet, you generally will find that the first 5 1/2 feet on all of the blanks are identical. The only thing that the manufacturer is doing is to add length to the butt. So, you can do it in reverse. If you want it shorter, then just trim off the butt and keep the nice light tip that makes it the light action rod that it is.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 08:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 02:15PM

+1 what Roger said. Just keep in mind that when you trim a blank, whether it be from the front or the back, the resulting blank will have a little less power and a little less tip speed. How much depends on the blank that you 're starting with.

If you're familiar with measuring speed and action using the CCS then you can find out the difference.

First measure action and speed at the full 6 1/2 '.

To measure the difference if trimming from the butt, move the blank back in your holding device to account for the 6" trim.

To measure the difference if trimming from the tip, mount a guide 6" from the tip and measure.

Good Luck.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2011 05:31PM

Many manufacturers build their different length blanks on separate mandrels - they don't just add length to the butt, as that would make the overall actions different.

If you trim from either end, you slow the action. Trimming from the tip increases the lure weight casting range by a bit, trimming from the butt reduces the overall power or deadlift capacity.

Taking 3 inches from both ends of a 6'6" blank will markedly change the action and power. You might try choking up on the blank with your handle and taping on a single guide as a tiptop back from the tip, and rig up and see if the result is something you can live with. Best to do this before cutting as the best surprise, is no surprise.

Date: October 31, 2011 05:32PM

So, if I take the 6" from the butt end the action will not change, but there will be a small decrease in power. Or will there be a corresponding slight change in the line rating?

Date: October 31, 2011 05:35PM

The action will change if you remove anything from either the butt or the tip - it will become slower. Trimming from the butt will also reduce power and therefore the line rating.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 07:33PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Julian,
> If you want to keep the same light tip on the rod,
> do all of your rod trimming from the butt of the
> rod. By doing all of the trimming from the tip,
> you will still have the nice light tip that is
> currently on the rod. If you start to trim from
> the tip of the rod, you will quickly be turning
> the blank into a clubby rod that will not be very
> good for doing this light line fishing.
>
> When you check into a manufacturers given line of
> a specific action and find that they have a series
> of rods that run from 5 1/ to 7 feet, you
> generally will find that the first 5 1/2 feet on
> all of the blanks are identical. The only thing
> that the manufacturer is doing is to add length to
> the butt. So, you can do it in reverse. If you
> want it shorter, then just trim off the butt and
> keep the nice light tip that makes it the light
> action rod that it is.
>
> Take care
> Roger
Roger is that second sentence,first paragraph correct?

Date: October 31, 2011 08:46PM

Bruce,
I corrected the word tip to read - trim from the butt of the rod.

Take care
Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 08:24PM by roger wilson.

Date: October 31, 2011 08:52PM

Bruce,
Remember, in recent years; many rod manufacturers have come out with extra fast action tips. They do this by making the last 6-10 inches of the rod much more flexible than the rest of the rod. Often, especially on very light tipped rods, the very sensitive soft tip is really only in the last two or three inches of the tip. If you begin to trim much at all from the tip of these light tipped rods, you begin to make huge changes in the softness and or sensitivity of the tips.

The comments that Mr. Kirkman, as usual, are spot on. But when I have a light tipped blank, and want to keep that light tip, I will avoid trimming even a fraction of an inch off of that tip.

On that same vein, when I hear comments about a person that has a light action Walleye rod, and has broken off the top 4 inches and put a new tip on the shorter rod; I just shake my rod in disbelief. As far as I am concerned, they have essentially ruined the rod for the application for which it was intended. It will have a much stiffer tip and will be useless for its original application. It may be all right for something else, but certainly not for the original application.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 08:54PM

I think Roger meant butt not tip on that second sentence

Date: October 31, 2011 08:55PM

No doubt, taking an inch off the tip will change the rod a lot more than taking an inch off the butt.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 09:51PM

That was my thoughts too.I figured taking 6in. off would ruin that nice soft tip.May be wrong.I may be reading it wrong but I dont think he said what he intended to.

Date: November 01, 2011 02:10PM

Thanks for the help! Now if I understand all of you, I should trim the butt end 6", which will maintain the soft tip action, but will reduce the power somewhat. Did I read you right?

Date: November 01, 2011 05:27PM

Pretty much, but just remember that now that you'll have a rod which is shorter overall, the tip won't seem as fast, but it will remain just as soft as it was before.

Date: November 01, 2011 08:26PM

Sorry,
I didn't pick up my error on the first correction.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster