I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Proof for Sensitive?
Posted by: John Sams (66.28.139.---)
Date: October 29, 2011 08:44AM

How can you prove to a fisherman that a rod is more sensitive than another rod? Is there any real test or proof to do this??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Proof for Sensitive?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 08:48AM

DEpends on teh fisherman....there are a ton of people who feel ugly sticks are teh most sensitive rods. lol.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 09:51AM

What one fisherman might think is more sensitive for a rod, another might think differently. Generally the lighter wieght rod will feel more sensitive for most fishermen. If the rods are fairl equal in weight it could be a toss up. Are the rods bassically the same in specs or is one greatly different from the other? I have shown to others that using micro guides over more traditions guides on a rod does make a difference on how the rod feels and most have said the micro guide rod was more sensitive. I built rods on the same blanks to compare the difference in guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 10:21PM

John,
I really don't think that there is a really good way to check for rod sensitivity.

It is all really very subjective. I do tend to think that lighter rods are more fun to fish with. Some folks say that lighter rods are more sensitive - if everything else is held constant.

It is really up to the person holding the rod to decide for his/her self on that subject.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 09:02AM

There are valid tests. Problem is getting someone to buy the results. Not too many guys are going to be wowed into a purchase by looking at an Oscope screen. In the past I have suggested folks look at case studies for long canes for the blind. There has also been good info posted in the past about known dimensions for grips that support maximum input. For that you can look into tool design and such.

Bottom line, look outside the fishing rod industry. Look at the materials that promote maximum input and look at the dimensions of the grip/interface.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 10:34AM

IMO, we have a fine platform for determining "sensitivity". The problem is that folks want to narrow it down to one item ... primarily the blank OR the finished rod weight. This is a flawed thought process, it leaves out too many variables ... grip material, reel seat material and connection type, action, distribution of weight along the blank's axis, line used, etc. I am absolutely positive that I can build a standard modulus rod that would leave most anglers judging it to be "more sensitive" than a high modulus rod, by focusing on components other than the blank.

When rod "sensitivity" obtains a scientific definition, we can develop a system to judge a winner. Until that time, it will always be a conversation formed by individual viewpoint.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 03:26PM

Jim,
Well said!

Roger

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 10:54PM

Gee, we can measure electrical impulses in the heart and brain thru tissue and bone. Measure earthquakes half way around the world. You would think we could quantify somehow rather cheaply the amplitude of vibration transmitted through a rod handle?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 11:22PM

Craig Johnson1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, we can measure electrical impulses in the
> heart and brain thru tissue and bone. Measure
> earthquakes half way around the world. You would
> think we could quantify somehow rather cheaply the
> amplitude of vibration transmitted through a rod
> handle?

Craig -

We could devise a tool to scientifically measure the transmitted vibration through any of the components we purchase and use. The problem becomes the trillions of possible permutations in the selection and assembly of the multitude of components. At that point, the science becomes tainted with personal observations and preferences.

Jim -

Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 08:36PM

In my experience the lightness and modulus of the rod are only 25% of the formula at the most. Let me elaborate:

I own a lot of rods from a lot of different companies and have found that the main factors are:
1. taper and action (relative to how the rod is being used--and specifically the weights being fished with it)
2. resin system
3. probably most important how many of those high or mid modulus fibers run the length of the rod from the tip to the butt to carry those vibrations to your hand. Many companies now use carbon woven fiber and graphite that is wrapped perpendicular to the blank...while this increases the strength of the blank it does a poor job of transmitting the vibrations because they have to travel so far to reach your hands.

For example I own a BSR Mossyback (loomis bass blend) 852 (7'1" 2 power) and it is more sensitive that my legend elite st. croix 2 power and vastly more sensitive than my Phenix Ultra MBX ML casting rod, which is the lightest casting rod I've ever seen or fished.
Further it is more sensitive to my IMX 782 spin jig and my GLX 842 spin jig rod. The only rod I own that is more sensitive is my Loomis Shakyhead mag medium spinning rod 6'10" and it is a similar taper and material. And both rods are lower modulus than all the other rods listed.

I wish more manufacturers and consumers realized this...we would have companies building more sensitive blanks. More focus needs to be placed on the resin, taper, longitudinal graphite (from butt to tip) and balance of the blank.

Thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 08:39PM by Sam Moore.

Date: November 01, 2011 12:26AM

Jim, I understand and respect your point but in my mind I was thinking about measuring the finished product. Say for instance holding all variables constant but the rod handle (same blank, same guides, same layout, same everything) what will transmit more vibration: a foam cored carbon skinned Tenn. grip or a cork Tenn. grip? We could use it to rule out our own influential subjective thought on the matter. It would give us a real basis to build the most sensitively designed rod. Or perhaps the most durable rod that maintains the most sensitivity. All those permutations and variables are where exploration begins while ruling out subjectivity.

Sam, I have a 33 mil mod graphite rod from the 80's that would put to shame comparable high mod rods of today. I thought it might be the resin because the taper, action, power and over all builds are similar. Never considered the longitudinal vs. woven fiber question and that is a very good point I will have to examine more closely.

Best regards,

Craig

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 01:24AM

There is a big difference between measuring something with a definitive measurement and measuring "sensitivity" what I mean by this is what I feel and what you feel may not be the same. Where one person may feel a solid vibration another person may not be able to feel anything. one person may be more attuned to picking upa certain frequency of vibration over another. Another person more attuned to a different one.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 03:39AM

Yes Rufus
But what is important for the fisherman ?
It's Nice to know winch rod is the more sensitive by mesurement, but the more important, for me at all, is how I feel the rod sensitivity.
It's how the rod help me in detecting bite (or help me detecting I touch the bottom, or weed, or a rock ......) that is important for me.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:38AM

That was my point, each fisherman is going to have a different idea of what "sensitive" is. What is sensitive to me may not be sensitive to you.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: November 01, 2011 11:08AM

Rufus, you are right, every person is going to have a different idea of what "sensitive" is. Also lots of individual physiological variation in neuronal threshold between folks. The "sensitivity" definition floating around in my mind and perhaps Eric's too is the "ability to transmit vibration strength and frequency." If I could get a number on that objectively, I think it would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Craig

Posted by: Sam Moore (---.lightspeed.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:37PM

Craig Johnson1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sam, I have a 33 mil mod graphite rod from the
> 80's that would put to shame comparable high mod
> rods of today. I thought it might be the resin
> because the taper, action, power and over all
> builds are similar. Never considered the
> longitudinal vs. woven fiber question and that is
> a very good point I will have to examine more
> closely.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Craig

I think more and more with companies trying to build blanks lighter they've went to using more resin and less graphite to decrease weight. And to add strength they've went using woven and cross directional graphite to make up for less scrim and graphite...At least that's my theory. Because with the higher modulus graphite companies are using they have to be using more filler and resin in the rods or they would be to brittle to bend and would break when fighting fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster