I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
syringe markings
Posted by: ken khoo (---.199-27-211.dynamic.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 29, 2011 02:22AM

I'm using Flexcoat syringes and I sure wish someone had warned about the fact that their markings come off easy. Didn't know until too late. Have to manually mark and will seal it with the epoxy next time I'm using a batch. I know they don't cost much but unlike medical ones which are only one use, we use ours several times until they wear out. Surely FC can use markings that are more permanent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: syringe markings
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 29, 2011 03:04AM

I also experience the same problem so I decide to use syringe caps( from mudhole) on the bottles. I just put the syringes back on the caps. Problem solved and Ive been using the same syringe for over 20 applications without the need to clean the syringes or have faded numbers. Others may have other ideas to address your issue.

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: October 29, 2011 06:10AM

I use 1/8" masking tape to wrap the syringes at the 1cc and 2cc marks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 07:43AM

get new ones and spray some clear lacquer over them It will keep them from rubbing off

Hair spray will work also

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 08:18AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 07:58AM

had same issue...my solution is just be gentle when cleaning them off

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 08:10AM

Drill the caps with a 5/32" bit. Stick the ends of the syringes into the holes, draw up the epoxy like a vaccine, squirt into mixing cup, put syringe back. No need to EVER wipe, clean, etc. Never a mess or any over/under measuring. No need to buy little caps and spend money. A set of syringes will last a very long time this way and you won't waste a drop of epoxy.

Date: October 29, 2011 08:19AM

I use the cone caps Cut the top to fit it tightly and never had any problems

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 08:45AM

GUys, there are syringes tha have the markings molded into teh plastic. The syringes I have in my Threadmaster bottles are 3 years old, I've gone through quite a few 8oz kits using the method Jim Gamble outlined. Spend another $2 or @3 and buy the proper syringes. It's been such a long tim esinc eI bought syringes I cna't even remember who I got them from

Date: October 29, 2011 09:23AM

Plus there is no need to clean them After i put my finish in the cup I pull back the handle point onto a paper towel push all I can out of it and wipe off the tip done

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 10:14AM

If the markings are at all still visible on the syringe, you can lightly score over them with a razor blade and then go over them with
a black sharpie.

I now use the syringes that Billy mentioned (with the markings molded in). They work great, and as long as there is no cross
contamination between bottles they will last forever with just a quick wipe-down after use. The only thing to be aware of is that
they may have a silicone (or similar) residue left over from the molding process. Before you use them for the first time, it's a
good idea to give them a very good cleaning with DNA.

~Rich

Posted by: tom lacouture (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 01:37PM

I picked up a digital battery scale for measuring epoxy and finishes find it to be better than syringes the cost was$15.i used this method for 42 years at work and i never had a problem ,I no you have better control wit this method.

goodmluck

Tom

Date: October 29, 2011 02:18PM

it has been said here many times that finish can not be measured buy WEIGHT ???? Now I wonder

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 02:22PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drill the caps with a 5/32" bit. Stick the ends
> of the syringes into the holes, draw up the epoxy
> like a vaccine, squirt into mixing cup, put
> syringe back. No need to EVER wipe, clean, etc.
> Never a mess or any over/under measuring. No need
> to buy little caps and spend money. A set of
> syringes will last a very long time this way and
> you won't waste a drop of epoxy.

X2! I have been using the same few sets on my bottles for 3 or 4 years. Works great.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2011 02:25PM

Epoxy is designed to be measured by equal volumes, not weight. Resin and hardener do not weigh the same per CC so if you go by equal weights, you're not measuring per the formulators instructions and at some point, may run into a problem.

You can always measure by volume, then weigh each to determine a factor by which you can use weight as a means for measurement, but it's just another step when measuring volume by syringes is so quick and easy.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 03:36PM

Tom is correct in reference to his statement above saying that the resin and hardener will not weight the same for equal volumes of each. If you want to go with a digital scale follow these steps:
1) Zero the scale, place mixing cup on scale, zero the scale again, draw up 3cc of resin and put in cup, record the weight
2) Place resin in cup off to side, get another cup, zero the scale again, place second cup on scale and zero again (Cups Do Not Weight The Same, slight variation in them), draw up 3cc of hardener and put in cup, record the weight.
3) You'll see that they do have different weights with respect to the same volume and different brands of two part finish are going to have a different weight to volume ratio, not much but enough I would suspect to probably cause a curing problem. I tested 3 different brands of finish and they all had a slight difference in their weight to volume ratio.
4) After you have done your weight to volume test above on the resin and hardener above and written down the weight of each, now you can mix a batch in one mixing cup on the scale. Just remember to weight each cup and zero the scale with the cup on it, then add the resin to the weight required for it, then add the hardener till it comes up to the total weight of the two combined.
5) Mix and have fun. I have been using this method for about a year now, no problems at all with the finish not curing.

I didn't have any trouble before with using the 3cc method using syringes, just didn't like the mess of cleaning them off each time if you don't go the route of leaving them in the caps used by some of the people on here. It does add another step, but its really not that big of a deal once you know what the weight of 3cc is for the brand of finish you are using.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.246.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 07:58PM

Even if you don't go the route of leaving them in the bottle there is no need to spend any time cleaning syringes. I just pull the plungers about halfway back, wipe off the tips, and lay them on a piece of cardboard. Probably got two years on the set of FC syringes I'm using now, with never any problems.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2011 10:27PM

Whenever I pick up a new set of syringes from the surplus store for 10 cents, I put equal marks on them, and then wrap the syringe in clear sealing tape. The marks are on the syringes for as long as I use them.

I generally get 6 months to a year on these 10 cent syringes.

----------
You can easily mix epoxy by weight, once you come up with a correction factor. As posted above, figure out the correction factor for the various components and you can use any sensitive scale to weigh and mix your epoxy.

I think that generally speaking, it is quite counter productive to use a scale. Most of the time, the volume that is mixed at a time is such a small amount, that it is somewhat difficult to have an accurate scale to measure these small quantities. However, it is trivial to measure very small precise quantities with a syringe.

When doing things like building boats or airplanes, where you are mixing batches of a lb or two at a time, then the use of a scale can be very useful indeed.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 01:31PM

As I am new at this an have not had much experance, but what I have completedl comes out just fine , what I do is by drops from the bottle an it is great, an yes I know there is big drops an small ones
I try to get the same size drops but it works for me , if the hole in the top of the bottle is close is the same size this helps a lot with the size of the drops
Bill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 01:49PM

It's a no brainer! Do exactly what Jim Gamble said. No need to EVER clean them. Can't get the mixed up. My current ones have been in use for a couple years. Turn the bottle upside down, draw out what you need and squirt into your cup, put the syringe back in the cap stick on a shelf. When you run out, just take the caps/syringes and put them on the new bottles.

Mudhole now sells a neat insert that replaces the bottle cap and does the same thing [www.mudhole.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 11:34AM

Jim, Billy, Mike, et al are absolutely correct! Drill the caps and store the syringes in the holes. No need to EVER have anything other than the tips touching resin or hardener...EVER. Since I started using this method I have never had to purchase another syringe. To be honest, so long as I use the same brand of epoxy, I never have drilled more than one set of tops either. I just screw the old tops onto the new bottles and keep on truckin'.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster