I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

to make a handle from rings
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 02:45PM

I am trying to make a handle with some checkerboard rings that I have made, to get some color inthe ckeckerboard I have to use the real dark rings, when I sand the rings into shape my regular cork rings
get discolored, I can clean them up a lot by washing in MEK but still very dark from the sanding , how do you get it back the light color ? or do I just have to live with it, or don't use the dank rings .
ANY HELP OUT THERE,? I have a cork slicer & checkerboard cutting jig sold by a large rod supply house on the eastcoast , have cut the rings in lots of sizes an wedges but when I but them to gether to get some color I have to use the dark cork rings, an I am back in the same boat the dark cork dust impregnates the light color rings , show me the light if there is any on this problem or should I just stay with the light rings an stay away from the colored rings??
SID

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: to make a handle from rings
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 03:07PM

William,
You have hit on a pretty common problem that has few solutions.

One thing that I do, BEFORE - doing any washing with a liquid, is to use high pressure air from my air compressor powered blow gun.

When you leave the handle spinning on the lathe, all bolted together, and hit it with the high pressure air, you can blow most of the dark dust out of the light rings.

I would do this several times, perhaps doing it with the handle spinning in both directions to clear the grain and holes that might be in the rings. Just take the handle out of the lathe, and flip it end for end to have it spin in the opposite direction.

Then, I use alcohol and a tooth brush to go over the spinning handle to clean up the rest of the cork, Generally the spinning handle, alcohol and tooth brush will clean up the rest of the residue. Remember, if you have the handle spinning at 3600 rpm, there is a lot of outward force to cast out the dark sanding particles, if they get loosened up with the Algol and tooth brush.

You just have to continue trying a few different methods until you get the results that you want.

But - start with compressed air on a fast spinning handle and I think that you will solve most of your problems.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 07:40PM

as you sand just clean the spinning piece with a paper towel to remove the dust. when you get to a final finish use a clean piece of paper towel or rag to clean the dust. you have to be careful with light colored pieces(it doesnt matter if you are using eva,cork,or wood)

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 08:04PM

I have not tried building grips with checkerboard rings yet, so don't know if this will work for your problem. I have had great success cleaning cork and foam grips on well used rods, with dish soap and a soft toothbrush. Wet the toothbrush with water, pour the soap on the brush, and scrub the grip. if things get a little dry, wet the toothbrush again. Then rinse in water. You may have to do this several times to get everything off.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 01:24AM

I tried it out on some not so good rings an it improved greatly I can live with it, thanks for the help

BILL

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 12:20AM

I have been doing custom cork grips for a long time now and have trail and errors. I do checkering, kings crown, cork inlays of logo's fish etc. As I am sanding the cork I use a air gun and shoot the cork several times as I am sanding and several times in between. i will than use a terry cloth with alcohol and wipe the cork several times and will also use an old toothbrush or a paint brush ( cut the bristles really short so it it stiff but soft. With all that all my corks dark and natural always come out clean. Right after I seal the whole grip with cork seal. If I have a custom inlay, logo, name, graphics in the cork. I will blow everything off and clean it with alcohol and put 2 lite coats of epoxy on it and put it on the rod dryer. I hope this helped. I have tried everything and this method works for me and I hope it works for u. Thank you David Aiello

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster