I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with St. Croix Handle Kit
Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 09:49AM

I'm working on a rod for an acquaintance and it has an end cap I'm not familiar with. It's a handle kit that came with a St. Croix blank he bought for a baitcast rod. The rear grip has the normal through hole for reaming of course, but there's no change in the size of it where a normal end cap would epoxy on. Instead, it just has the hole, and it came with what I can best describe as a small trapezoidal (but cylindrical of course) plug, or peg, that seems to be meant to be stuck inside of the bottom of the handle flush with the bottom. Hope I'm describing that correctly. What am I supposed to do with this thing? Just ream out the very bottom of the handle more than the rest of it? I have the handle reamed out to the proper diameter to be applied to the blank now. Any more reaming would be overkill on the whole handle, so I guess I'm just supposed to ream the very bottom of it out a little more, then put that plug under the blank when I slide the handle down onto it to make sure the blank keeps going into the handle and doesn't stop at floor level? Any advice on this procedure would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with St. Croix Handle Kit
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 10:26AM

Epoxy the plug in place and sand flat when it dries. You almost can't tell there is a plug there.

Drew

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 01:05PM

Kyle,
I have built a lot of rods using this method.
Build up a rod handle, including the butt cap.
I then use a plug cutter to cut a plug that is larger than what will be the butt end of the rod blank. I sand a taper onto the the plug so that about 1/2 of the plug slips nicely into the hole.

I go ahead and glue up the reel seat, fore grip and rear handle. I make sure that the end of the rod butt goes no further than the end of the handle and not the butt cap. After the handle and reel seat are dry, I will go ahead and glue in the plug. If necessary I will sand it a bit more so there is a perfect fit on the plug to the butt cap.

After the plug has been glued in, I will use my chop saw to chop the plug close to the butt cap. Then, I clamp my handle into my cross vise that is bolted to my disk sander. Then, I crank in my disk sander until I get a perfect end on the rod handle. As long as the plug has been cut with a ring that is of similar color and construction as the butt cap, there will be no visible joint on the butt cap.

Good wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 01:09PM

Here is a picture of the cross vise sander that I have built from a 3600 rpm pump motor and an 8 inch disk sander.

The cross vise is used to clamp the rod handle at 90 degrees to the sanding disk, so the butt of the rod has a perfect 90 degree face to to the handle:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is an example of a plug cutter that is used to cut the plugs to insert into the ends of the grip:

[www.homedepot.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 02:42PM

For the grip you have, you can:

Cut off the rubberized ring(s)
Install the grip less ring(2)
Glue the rubberized ring with the plug installed in the rubberized ring hole

EZPZ and you'll never know the difference

That's why I stopped using those grips.

Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 03:46PM

Thanks for all the help guys. It's a goofy grip system for sure.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 04:56PM

I "shave" the plugs down with a razor blade to just slightly larger than the hole on the end of the handle. It doesn't have to be perfectly round, just push it in until it's tight. Cut off the remainder sticking out with a razor blade and sand it flat.

When I use St Croix or other brands of handle kits like this I also don't bring the blank the whole way down to the end of the handle, I leave a 1/4" or so of space at the butt end of the handle without the blank for gluing in the plug.

Rog

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 07:21AM

Install the handle like normal but do not push butt of blank to the very end. Glue in the trapazoidal plug. wait til dry and cut off and sand. no need to cut your plug as it comes supplied. No need to cut off any rings. The st Croix handles are actually very easy to install .

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster