I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod set
Posted by: Jack Tener (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 05:45PM

I'm having a dispute with another builder friend of mine. I told him several years ago that i read if you leave a rod leaning against the wall for too long or hanging from butt to tip with a sag, that after while it would set with the curve to it that you couldn't get out. He said he never heard of such a thing. Can anyone time me who's right? Is this true with rods from years ago and now the new ones don't do that? I'm hoping i'm right so i can win the bet. lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod set
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 06:24PM

Jack:

The old Bamboo rods would take a set. I don't know about the newer rods (from fiberglass on). My Dad cracked me up side the head when he saw me lean one of his bamboo rods up against the camper. Lesson learned.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 07:40PM

I can't say for sure but it would not surprise me at all if it is true. I try to keep my rods and blanks standing vertically or with as many places supported as possible. I figure, better safe than sorry!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 07:43PM

I have a Silstar surf rod that has just that problem, top 18 inches are bent back and to the left. Still works fine!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 08:11PM

Jack,
Depending on the material, the rod WILL take a set.
That is one of the big reasons why folks prefer to use fiberglass rods for downrigger rods, because fiberglass can be bent nearly double for hours at a time without taking a permanent set.

However, that is NOT the case for graphite rods, which can take a set if left bent for a long period of time.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 08:45PM

I have a few old rods leaning against the wall in my shop that have been there for years. After reading this post, I went to check them and none of them are bent. If they do set, it must take longer than 2-3 years.

Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2011 08:46PM

Graphite rods are not prone to taking a set. Glass, and certainly bamboo, are.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 09:35AM

I try to avoid the problem by using my rods as much as possible... I don't mind when they get a solid bend in them either...

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 10:16AM

All I can do is report my own experiences. I've had on average, 35 or so rods hanging from the ceiling joists in my shop for the last 20 years, a few of them have been there the whole time. The shop is not heated or cooled. The rods are supported just behind the reel seat and about a third of the way down from the tip. There are only a couple of fiberglass models. I've never noticed any bent rods resulting from this practice. Can't say about rods left leaning in a corner.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 06:47PM

I have a glass rod that was stored horizontal with an 8 ounce sinker hanging from it. You bet it took a set right from the point where it was supported.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster