I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying guides without thread wraps
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 02:48PM

Kind of an interesting take on applying guides without thread wraps. Wonder how strong or durable this stuff is?

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying guides without thread wraps
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: October 27, 2011 03:32PM

I am told that the trouble with some or most UV coatings is that they get harder and harder with every exposure to UV light, like the sun. So at some point they can become brittle and crack. But I'm no expert on UV coatings.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 03:36PM

Silk thread if done correctly will disappear and you will have the same thing --- yet the thread holds the guide on Stronger

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 03:42PM

Bill, you don't even have to use silk. Standard Gudebrod light gray nylon will disapear as well with finish. The idea was I'm sure to get away from wraps and not so much the clarity of the guide foot showing thru, but I could be wrong.

Date: October 27, 2011 03:45PM

Yea but even with certain color regular nylon and no CP the guide foot shows thought the thread

Try a search here a lot was spoken on how to do it There are pictures of it on the photo page also

more info here [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 03:52PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 03:53PM

Looks cool and would definitely be great for an the water repair but I wouldn't trust it for long.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 03:53PM

double post, sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 03:53PM by matthew jacobs.

Date: October 27, 2011 03:56PM

Rob

I see what you mean : [www.rodbuildingforum.com]

OOPS that was silk My bad

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 03:59PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2011 08:12PM

Perhaps fine in theory, but I would never trust my rod with guides that are glued on rather than wrapped.

Roger

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 08:53AM

As a fly tyer, these modified dental products have some pros and cons. The pro's of course is how simple and fast you can apply and shape the adhesive as well as how fast you can cure it. However, most do leave a tacky residue after cured and require a couple extra steps to remove. This usually menas an alcohol wipe then overcoat with some type of clear nail pilish, permaglos etc... to get that smooth finish. A couple of manufacturers have gotten the formulations better now reducing that tackiness. One thing I can say (again from my flytying experience) these products dry very hard and can shatter on impact. I have some large half and half patterns I tie for big striped bas on the lower Chesapeak Bay and the epoxy heads do better when bounced off the CBBT pilings. I agree with Matt that ths would be a great tool in your boat bag repair kit vs a full rod guide finish. I think the gentleman from Mar Krutz had a similar system on display last year at the ICRBE and was curious how many folks were using it. I am not sure if it utilized UV light or a blue wavelength bulb.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 09:12AM

Looks like to me that you would need to get the guides lined up on the first try, cause there would be no time do the tweaking to line up the guides. just a thought. Have a good one!

Date: October 28, 2011 09:12AM

Looks like to me that you would need to get the guides lined up on the first try, cause there would be no time do the tweaking to line up the guides. just a thought. Have a good one!

Date: October 28, 2011 09:13AM

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 09:29AM

I've been "fooling around" with UV cure finishes since the last expo when I saw the unit there in operation. What I can tell you is that it is not easy to find a product that will cure at a reasonable UV wavelength AND provide a one step glassy finish that will remain flexible over time AND be cost-effective. The intersection of those three aspects are difficult to find. The lower in wavelength the more durable / flexible the finishes are - but the cost of the UV source goes up dramatically. Just as an example: a 365nm UV led operating at 1 watt / 200mw/cm2 costs on the order of $100 - and continues on at $100/per watt. There are other sources (florescent, HiD, Mercury vapor) but those bring along their own issues like heat dissipation/cooling and clumsy enclosures. I was / am hoping to have something for folks to look at / play with at the ICRBE ... I just don't know if I will find the intersection of cost / product by then.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 03:00AM

Interesting thread. I happened to be thinking about UV finish this week - wondering if someone had designed a UV finish specifically for the rodbuilding community. I for one would sure love to have a complete cure in minutes using a UV light. Would speed things up a fair bit!

Mo

Date: October 29, 2011 08:50AM

Mo -
There are many, many MANY products out there by a variety of companies that cure using UV. The problem is finding one that will cure quickly without "outgassing" (leaving an oily residue) at a reasonable UV level. I have tested something like 20 samples from different suppliers including two which are sold & used for sealing fly heads. Out of all those tested I've found 3 that will work - but as I alluded to above the cost of using LEDs and bringing it on the market for sale is prohibitive. What I am shooting for is a UV cure product (urethane acrylate) that will cure clear in seconds, have no oily residue and remain flexible over time. Many of the newer products will meet all these criteria - and have been used in industry for many applications (potting electronics, printing, print sealing). The key issue is finding an inexpensive, portable, light source of sufficient energy at the correct wavelength. I'm still looking & working exchanging email & phone calls, on a weekly basis, with the chemists at two of the major acrylic producers. The goal is $50 or less for a kit of finish & light source that can be used primarily for guide repair work over threads & not directly to the blank. As was BRIEFLY mentioned in the video - underlying color of the substrate does make a difference in cure rate & cure depth. Those I've tested that are used as "glues" are brittle - which also appeared in an above post. I've not tried Bug Bond (subject of the post) so I can't say if that is or is not brittle or will continue to harden over time.
I have three repaired rods that are out on a bass fishing tour right now using one coating that looks the most promising: fast cure (15 seconds), clear, bright (non-oily) finish, non-hardening in sunlight.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 01:20AM

Bug Bond is on youtube. Very flexible after curing - looks almost like rubber in terms of flexibility. Surprised that it has enough holding power to bond guides on but apparently the owner used that rod to land a 16lb pike on a 9wt fly rod. And its not very costly - though more than your $50 cap.

Mo

Date: October 30, 2011 07:22AM

Todd -
You're correct the two products (companies) that are available for use on fly heads are similar to UV dental cure material. The cure (four forms) are all above 365nm but probably below 400. The UV fingernail polish types cure between 395 and 410 (centered around 405). Those acrylics are what ladies have put on their finger nails - very tough but also too brittle for what we'd like to use it for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster