I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Wrap Confusion
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:00AM

Hi All,

I am trying my first sample tiger wrap, but something strange is happening.

My base wrap is dark blue and silver (not metallic), with 2 coats of CP and 3 coats of lite build.

The top layer is Aqua to match the rod, which I have put 2 coats of CP, but no epoxy yet.

The confusion is that, I can't see the pattern or anything come through the top thread, but when I peeled off about an inch of the top thread, I could see the pattern.

Here is the photo I took with my phone. The image isn't the best, but you get the idea. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Why can't I see the pattern?

I re-wrapped the exposed section, and I could just see the pattern through the top thread.

Should I not have put CP on the top coat? I re-read the tutorials, and there is no reference to CP on the top layer, so I just assumed to apply it as per normal with this thread.

I know that the best thread is black and NCP white, but I was trying to get a blue and silver look, just like some of the great wraps in the photos.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap Confusion
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:17AM

Richard,

You need to wrap two threads on top. Use your aqua and any other color you choose. The other color gets removed. It's job is to serve as a spacer for your top thread. When it's removed, you can see the pattern below between the threads on top.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:24AM

Did you use a sacrificial thread on the top? Also, Dark Blue and Silver are not strongly oppositional colors. You want that base wrap to be very contrasting colors.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:26AM

Yep, what Joe said. Reread the instructions on how to do a tiger wrap.

The reason you are seeing a pattern when you remove the thread is because it has caused grooves in the epoxy. If you were to epoxy over the grooves, they would disappear along with the tiger pattern.

jeremy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:47AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Best to read them again.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 11:10AM

If you don't have a sacrificial thread, you will not see the pattern as you've covered it up with the single thread wrap over the top. You have to leave some space there so the bottom wrap shows through. You also might want to try to very dissimilar colors on the bottom. The top thread gives your color and the bottom gives you the pattern.

Also, don't forget to wrap the top thread in the opposite direction of the bottom threads. This gives a cress cross pattern that makes the bottom thread movement it's pop.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 25, 2011 04:23PM

Sorry for the confusion but I did use a sacraficial thread and wrapped the opposite way.

I will redo it and try and work it out.

So I take it that I can use CP on the top thread too.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 04:45PM

Richard,
Yes you can certainly use CP on the top thread if you are using regular nylon thread and want to retain that color.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 04:47PM

if you do not use CP on the top thread and just finish the top thread will become Transparent and will show the base thread more

Try it on a scrap piece

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2011 05:49PM

Bill,

That actually lessens the moire effect - the top layer needs to be opaque in order to create the effect.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 07:01PM

Yes, CP the top, however, you won't be able to see the design until you epoxy. The CP will hide it. You should be able to get a good idea of what it will look like before CP. I have found that for greatest effect, I use Madeira and size A NCP on bottom and Madeira with size A sac on top. CP both layers. It comes out great this way and you get complete color shift.

Date: October 25, 2011 08:03PM

The only NCP thread I can see availble is the prowrap colour fast on the mudhole website. Is this the same as normal CP thread?

Date: October 25, 2011 09:04PM

NCP, Colorfast, Colorlok, it's all the same. NCP means no CP needed. It doesn't look as good on the top layer as regular nylon with CP though. I use it on the bottom with Madeira thread. size A NCP is slightly larger than regular size A and Madeira is slightly smaller than A. For me this gives some wicked looking tigers with complete color movement.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 26, 2011 01:45AM

Thanks Brandon, I will give it another go.

Date: October 26, 2011 04:20PM

Looks like I was doing it right after all.

It was just a matter of putting on the epoxy, which made the colour and pattern come through.

Date: October 26, 2011 06:57PM

Glad you got it. One thing you need to be careful of is that you CP is not to thick when applied because it won't fill the gaps will. Tigers are fun and look great with a small 3 thread diamond pattern over the top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster