I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Colour preserver over NCP thread
Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 24, 2011 07:34AM

Hi everyone....
I have been having an issue with slight fading of some colours, nothing specific but this has got me beat...
I gave a coat of preserver over a NCP Black thread, (just 1 light coat) waited the recommended 24hrs.. then epoxied, after the epoxy dried the black had a very faint grey tinge.......totally bewildered why.?? any thoughts.??.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colour preserver over NCP thread
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 07:53AM

use regular nylon and NO CP It will come out Black The only color that works on That is why many factory rods have it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 24, 2011 09:09AM

Thanks Bill.
so black nylon will always stay black and not fade.?
I dont think ive ever used nylon...

Date: October 24, 2011 09:32AM

Yes No CP needed Try it on some scrap

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 09:38AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 10:36AM

Owen,
The vast majority of thread wrapping that you purchase today is made from nylon thread stock.

It has just the right amount of stretch and UV resistance to work well as rod wrapping thread.

Roger

Date: October 24, 2011 10:47AM

Regular nylon with CP - if you don't want the translucent look - looks better then NCP thread It to me looks Flat like it is painted on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 12:15PM

Why would one put CP on NCP (no color preserver) thread in the first place? You don't mention the other problems your having with other colors fading, are you using NCP or regular nylon?

Date: October 24, 2011 12:24PM

I put one coat of CP or very light first coat of finish just to get rid of bubbles in the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 12:32PM

Phil,
I dont normally use CP but have on occasion and can get a very smooth thin finish when I do. I dont like the thought of the epoxy not soaking through to the blank and guide foot though. But even on NCP thread the preserver helps fill the gaps between the thread and makes it possible for a smoother thin coat of finish, just brush the CP on lengthwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 12:40PM by JIM MOWL.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 01:35PM

I use cp on all wraps. It really is quite helpful on holding decorative wraps together. If i`m in the middle of a wrap I give it a coat of cp before I leave it. When I return it is all together just like when I left it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: October 24, 2011 07:18PM

I have 40 spools of Gubebrod NCP black. when clients ask for a particular colour for intricate wraps between the black and i have it in stock, i use it whether its NCP or not..(mixing NCP colours with colours that need a CP sounds as though it could be the problem.) so being unable to brush a CP onto these intricate wraps that need a CP i do the entire wrap, including over the black NCP as well....
(hope that understandable.) the issue I have is why the Gubebrod NCP black shows a grey tint after its had a CP over it and had the final epoxy.....?

Date: October 24, 2011 07:41PM

Maybe use regular nylon instead of NCP black ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 24, 2011 08:02PM

your right Bill, or a NCP colour, but i think i will go onto these nylons and try them out so i dont have to use CP again...sounds like afew do it that way........Im assuming now all nylons wont fade.
huh, didnt know that....
been doing this for close on 5yrs, what rock have i been under.?!

thanks again..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 24, 2011 11:04PM

Owen, Except for black , nylon thread WILL darken considerablyor go translucent. I use CP on almost all of my rods (including guides) with no problems!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 11:11AM

CP is helpful on NCP thread if you are trying to hit a certain color target. Do a color wand with Nylon thread, 2 wraps per color (coat one CP and then no CP), then NCP thread same deal (CP and no CP). Let dry and apply your finish. Will see a color difference. I think you can use too much CP and get that milky look too, especially if your CP is older. I like the Cason's CCRF preserver nowadays.

Date: October 25, 2011 01:31PM

Just remember that with out CP on regular nylon you will be able to see the guide feet and any tag ends of trim under the nylon
When you get some play with it I tend to like the reds

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 05:51PM

NCP thread has chalk added to create the opacity and it is likely that the chalk causes the black to become somewhat gray! It is also this chalk that gives the colors of NCP a "flat" look that some describe as looking like paint. In my opinion NCP will not give you color vibrancy that you can get by using regular nylon and CP.

Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 05:52PM

"I gave a coat of CP over a NCP Black thread, (just 1 light coat) then epoxied, after the epoxy dried the black had a very faint grey tinge.......totally bewildered why.?? any thoughts.??....."

Owen,

What brand type of CP are you using? I have a feeling you are using a milky CP (like flexcoat)

Like Todd said, Try using a clear color preserver like Cason's Crystal Clear CP. I lswitched over and will never go back!

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2015 10:40PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would one put CP on NCP (no color preserver)
> thread in the first place? You don't mention the
> other problems your having with other colors
> fading, are you using NCP or regular nylon?

I am in the process of figuring out if it's ok right now. I will tell you why. I have a roll of white and gray NCP but plan on buying an 18 color sample pack of Madeira thread (200 meters each color). I also was planning on buying an 1100 meter spool of white madeira because I use white frequently.

I am wanting to build a Dallas Cowboys color rod. But the blue will come from the sample pack (regular), the gray and white I have are NCP. However, I was going to use the white as an underwrap for a butt wrap (long thick rod) and the guide wraps, so I may run out of NCP and have to transition to regular. So in my case, to answer your question, the reason would be "it's what I have on hand and planning to purchase." The metallics seem to work either way. So I'm not concerned with silver.

So anyhow, the search goes on...if I can't find an answer here or on the web, I'll start a new post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster