I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte laquer/finish for rodbuilding
Posted by: Andrei Sava (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: October 23, 2011 05:10AM

I've tried to find some matte lacquer for a project of mine, but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. I may be looking in the wrong places. Has anyone any idea of what type of lacquer could be used for a matte finish on the rod (not for the guides).

Anyone ??! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte laquer/finish for rodbuilding
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2011 06:03AM

Spray urethane is available in satin or semi-gloss.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 07:54AM

Petri wipe-on gel urethane will work. JP turned me on to it for handles, but it does the job on blanks too. It is VERY easy to use.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 09:45AM

Jim

I take it you are saying the Oil-based poly It reads diamond hard finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:22AM

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:38AM

The product Jim mentioned is available from. [www.woodturnerscatalog.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 23, 2011 11:20AM

I notice that is Satin, no quite Matte. I really want matte :((

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 02:06PM

I use that now for my refinished blanks, if you only do a couple of light coats on it, you more or less get a matte finish. If you put more coats on then you start to see more of a satin finish. I have tried just one coat of it and it evens things out real nice, gives the blank a uniform look.

Date: October 23, 2011 04:29PM

I want to use it over a decal. I will have a matte carbon split portion between the grips, and want to add my signature decal to that portion (my rod). If possible i would like to have it matte, instead of glossy just over my decal. It would look out of place:).

I don't need it over the entire blank:). But considering it'll be a decal over there, i will probably need more than one coat, probably at least 3-5 coats.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 06:06PM

What ever you use, be sure it is compatible with the decal! Some have solvents that will harm the decal.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 07:59PM

Saw a spray matt finish in one of the craft stores about a month ago, I think it was Krylon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster