I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Building my first rod
Posted by: Maury Schiowitz (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:24PM

I am going down the rod many of you have already taken........what can you offer me in the way of suggestions so that I don't make the same mistakes you have made.....What about equipment any suggestions there or maybe you have a good used unit for sale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building my first rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 12:28AM

Maury,
The very best suggestion that I can make is to go to a good rod shop and build your first rod under the supervision of an excellent rod builder.

None of the steps in rod building are rocket builder type steps, but all things do need to be done correctly for the best possible job.

If you build your first rod in a rod builders shop under his/her supervision, he/she will catch any potential mistakes before you make them. It will be an education that is well spent if you do it.

Take care
REW

p.s.
You can check out the library on this site for a wealth of information.
You can check out the builders tips at Mudhole.com for another set of excellent tips

You can build an excellent rod with very few tools. But having said that, the right tools and or more tools will generally make your job easier - but not necessarily better.

Date: October 22, 2011 12:35AM

Roger thanks for the suggestions......I have already checked into the classes that Mudhole has......so that's a start because they aren't too far away from me here in West Palm Beach. I have already decided on a Batson Blank that isn't hugely expensive at $32.63. Thanks, Maury

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns3.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2011 05:52AM

I am only really a beginner myself having built 4 rods so far.

Before I started my first rod I watched the online video clips on the Mudhole website (also available on Youtube under "mudhole rod building") These were excellent and really showed me all the basic skills to get started. I've since picked up lots of tips from this forum to refine my skills.
I have not spoken to or met any other rod builders, because there aren't many here in my home state of Tasmania, AUS, but I'm extremely happy with the results I've achieved so far.

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns3.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2011 05:53AM

I am only really a beginner myself having built 4 rods so far.

Before I started my first rod I watched the online video clips on the Mudhole website (also available on Youtube under "mudhole rod building") These were excellent and really showed me all the basic skills to get started. I've since picked up lots of tips from this forum to refine my skills.
I have not spoken to or met any other rod builders, because there aren't many here in my home state of Tasmania, AUS, but I'm extremely happy with the results I've achieved so far.

Date: October 22, 2011 07:06AM

Thanks Dale for your reply.....I will checkout Mudhole videos......Batson's videos on their website have also been helpful......Maury

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.91.65.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 22, 2011 09:15AM

Hey Maury, I'm just up in ,Port Saint Lucie and there are several custom builders in Palm Beach. I would be happy to help you through your first one but im sure there are several of the more exprienced builders in this area who have a ton more experience than me who would help. Try treasure coast rod and reel, Roy is close to you, has a ton of components that you could che k out, see what you like, and will definitely give you a bit of guidance if you ask.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 09:28AM by Rufus Rhoden.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 09:36AM

Get Tom Kirkman's book. At $15 it is a steal. Best bang for the buck is a trip to the EXPO in Feb. Seminars galore! Get your hands on every manufacturer's goods and meet all the players. Bill Batson will spend all the time with you you want. Scott Parsons will do the same as will Bill Stevens and Lance. Don't forget to bring an empty credit card - great deals.

Date: October 22, 2011 10:13AM

Thanks Rufus for answering....I called Treasure Coast Rod and Reel and he refered me to Mudhole>

Date: October 22, 2011 10:13AM

Thanks Rufus for answering....I called Treasure Coast Rod and Reel and he refered me to Mudhole.

Date: October 22, 2011 10:22AM

Thanks Bill for answering......good info.....Tom Kirkman's Book on Amazon is $7.95 ordered it so in a few days I'll have it. I will check out that Expo when it comes around......Maury

Date: October 22, 2011 10:22AM

Thanks Bill for answering......good info.....Tom Kirkman's Book on Amazon is $7.95 ordered it so in a few days I'll have it. I will check out that Expo when it comes around......Maury

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.91.65.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 22, 2011 11:27AM

I'm an amateur but have done 20 or so builds, shoot me an email, I'd be happy to share some experience or let you use some shop time.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 12:16PM

Been building about 2 years here just rods for me and friends, ie still a novice.

An inexpensive blank for #1 is a great idea. Keep it simple-1 color thread, no trim, rubber winding check.

The Tom Kirkman book is great. Get that and read it. Keep it as a reference. As someone else said-it's the best $15 you can spend in rodbuilding.

The Batson videos are much better than the Mudhole videos. Clear, easy to understand, and well done: [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Buy a set of reamers. They will save you time and frustration. You can probably just get by with the small and medium size unless you are building a big rod.

Use the foam arbors to mount your reel seat. Easier, cleaner and neater for your first effort. Since you are ordering from Batson, their handle kits are a good deal. Don't use masking tape.

Go ahead and buy a drier. The one Mudhole sells is perfectly adequate and not expensive.

If you use black thread, it will hide a lot of beginner mistakes. I have used Gudebrod and ProWrap thread. Both are good. I would like to try FishHawk.

You can build a rod wrapper in an hour. or just use a cardboard box for your first one. No need (and not desirable) to buy a powered wrapper. I almost made that mistake before building #1.

Rod Bond is great for gluing stuff up.

I have found the thread finish that Mud Hole sells (ProKote) to be very easy to use as a beginner

At the drug store they sell Isopropyl Alcohol in 2 strengths. Get a quart of the 91%. It's great for cleaning up everything related to epoxy and finish.

Before touching thread or your blank, wash your hands and fingers well with dish washing detergent to remove oils. I rewash every time I take a break.

Good luck

Drew

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: October 22, 2011 01:42PM

Whatever you end up building, sign and date it. Fish it and enjoy it. Learn from it and appreciate it as the 'best' you could do at that time in your development as a builder. You don't have to start out as an experienced builder. Above all .... keep it and don't re-do any of it. Use it as a measuring stick to your improvement. I re-did my first rod but to this did regret that it is not in its original state. Enjoy!

Date: October 22, 2011 02:28PM

Thanks Drew Your info is fantastic.....This is just the kind of good info I need.....Be talking to you again soon. Maury

Date: October 22, 2011 02:30PM

Thanks Steve for answering........I never thought about signing and dating each rod to tell where I am in my development......That is a damn good idea......I will do it......Maury

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 03:03PM

While buying an inexpensive blank is not entirely a bad idea, remember the cost of components are high. Finished results may not be what you want, but you will have a fish-able rod for sure. I have rebuilt several of my first builds because the thread work was undesirable. The difference in cost between RX7 and RX8 is very small. I would spend the extra 20 bucks or so on the better blank. Lot's of videos on you tube to learn from. When I started, I bought every book I could find and watched videos online. Most importantly is take your time and don't get impatient. I ruined my first build because I wanted to fish with it and rushed the build. Don't be afraid to strip thread work if its not looking good. It makes for good practice.

Date: October 22, 2011 03:11PM

Brandon, Good advice.....I plan to take my time and not rush......Thanks for answering.....Maury

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 05:41PM

Just because it is your first rod does not mean it cannot turn out great if you are careful. I bought Tom's book and Garcia's video and my first rod turned out just fine, it was very simple, basic nothing fancy. My second rod, not so great: the epoxy didn't set up. If you do a search, you will probably get hundreds of comments about epoxy finish problems and how to avoid them. Mix exactly equal portions and mix mix mix. Pour it out on foil and blow the bubbles out with a drinking straw. Sorry, but I found it very difficult to get the bubbles out of u40 LS supreme so I no longer use it. Like Drew said, keep everything clean. Wipe your tools and razor blades off with alcohol, too. Oh, and read this forum.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster