I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Historical question (recent)
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.248.89.79.rev.sfr.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:40AM

I can't find an answer anywhere to this simple historical question, so I thought maybe some of the knowledgeable people here who have been around quite a bit may know. Here it is: who 'invented' the split grip and when? What's the oldest model you know with this handle design?

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 11:41AM by Laurent Keiff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Historical question (recent)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:52AM

Surf rods have been utilizing that configuration for perhaps 60 years at least.

Date: October 21, 2011 12:11PM

Oh, that's right... I feel a little stupid now.
But then, for lighter rods? Was there a model that started the whole trend we see now?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 12:20PM

Laurent, The first rod "I" had seen with a split grip handle was a Berkley "SERIES ONE" which had the split grip and high framed guides. I could be mistaken but, I believe it was in the late 1980's.I remember this because K-mart was selling them at $100. and they were just lumped together in a bin with some of the other $29. rods. They were light and crisp,cutting edge at the time. The handle material was EVA nicely molded or turned to form to the reelseat with a knob at the butt. The rods were a stealth black color from what I remember. A year or so later they changed to cork grips and spoiled the whole line up with redish brown blanks, they just never were the same after that as I remember.
Who invented the "split grip" system, I don't know. K-mart was where I first seen them.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: October 21, 2011 12:39PM

Thanks for that, Dennis.
I guess I could rephrase my question thus: have you always been familiar with the split grip design (for *light* rods), and if not, when did you first saw it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 12:41PM by Laurent Keiff.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.pr.navy.mil)
Date: October 23, 2011 01:37AM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Laurent, The first rod "I" had seen with a split
> grip handle was a Berkley "SERIES ONE" which had
> the split grip and high framed guides. I could be
> mistaken but, I believe it was in the late
> 1980's.I remember this because K-mart was selling
> them at $100. and they were just lumped together
> in a bin with some of the other $29. rods. They
> were light and crisp,cutting edge at the time. The
> handle material was EVA nicely molded or turned to
> form to the reelseat with a knob at the butt. The
> rods were a stealth black color from what I
> remember. A year or so later they changed to cork
> grips and spoiled the whole line up with redish
> brown blanks, they just never were the same after
> that as I remember.
> Who invented the "split grip" system, I don't
> know. K-mart was where I first seen them.

Same here... I remember thinking those Berkley Series One rods were the baddest things I had ever seen at the time, and they never really gave off the same impression after that. They definitely seemed ahead of their time. The first split grip rod I ever owned was probably the Shimano Bantum Magnumlite "Fightin Rod"... the one with the "Boron Reinforced Graphite" blank and the handle that was basically the blank becoming larger at the butt. No foregrip, straight trigger handle, split rear foam grip. Still one of my favorite rods....caught a lot of fish on that rod.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 11:01AM

Hey Phil, You too! I still have and fish with two SpeedMaster casting rods. They are the most comfortable factory rods I ever owned, the way the butt blends into the reelseat and continues to become the blank. I've had one of the shops give me a broken lower half of a heaver model, which I grafted a nice stiff blank to and now use it for flippin and punchin the pads.It's a little heavy in the hand but it gets the job done.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.pr.navy.mil)
Date: October 25, 2011 07:16AM

Yeah, its unfortunate that old Shimano factory burned down. Could probably build some kick ass blanks on those old mandrels with today's materials.... who knows.

I need to redo my rod sometime, the finish on the top is all coming off the blank. Always wanted to keep it original but really needs to be done one day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster