I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
need comparison
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 06:35PM

have a request for a build and I would like first had experience from those of you who have had these blanks in hand. I am comparing a St Croix 3C66MF to a MHX HI mod MB783. Which would you say is lighter? more sensitive and would make the nicest build? I don't have any experience the Hi mod so all help would be greatly appreciated.

Will be build split grip, ecs, batson check and micro'd slow spiral.

This is going to be a worm/light jig rod/general do all bass rod.

thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need comparison
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:29PM

Tom...i have both in Stock...a few of each actually...the St.Croix is .40 oz. lighter ...MHX=2.0 oz...St.Croix=1.6 oz., hope this helps...Cheers!!!

Date: October 20, 2011 07:34PM

Tom...correction on the MHX...i noticed later you were refering to the High Mod...that is 1.7 oz., not much difference needless to say...sorry about the mix up

Date: October 20, 2011 08:08PM

Wayne,

This guy fishes a Pro Qualifier and is wanting a custom MH do you feel the 3c66mf is too light? The Qualifier specs out as a 3c66MHF? I was set on the 3c66mf but after seeing the specs on his current rod I am leaning towards the 3C66MHF.

I know this question is purely subjective in your opining which do you like better?? the Croix or the MHX Hi Mod? How is the fall fishing up there? Is it over?

take care,
Tom

Date: October 20, 2011 08:21PM

Tom...Don't misunderstand me i Love the MHX Blanks...or i otherwise would not have purchased as many as i have. Given the choice i'd go for the St.Croix...as you said,it's all subjective...but it is based upon on the Water experience...so a slight edge goes to the St.Croix...just my humble opinion... Cheers Tom, nice to talk to you again!!!

Date: October 20, 2011 08:28PM

Tom...about the Fishing.... season is still open...i have a Walleye trip to the Bay of Quinte coming up in early November...which no doubt means the Boys and i will be sporting Mustang Floater suits...it's going to be cold!!!...but it's also Trophy Time for Walleye!!!

Date: October 20, 2011 08:37PM

wayne,

greatly appreciate the feedback going to put the Croix in the customers hands on sat and then let him fish mine for his feedback. Good luck and be careful up there! Hope you are able to fill the freezer with some nice fillets!

Tom

Date: October 20, 2011 08:39PM

Tom...Most Welcome!!...we will be careful...gotta' watch out for that "Witch of November"...Thanx Bud!!!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.50.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 09:00PM

The St. Croix maybe lighter but I would bet that the Hi Mod MHX is more sensitive. Those blanks have been very well received by everyone that has fished them.
Not just my opinion.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:00PM

Mathew what units of measure would you suggest to use as a comparative "sensitivity" standard if someone chose to cover your bet? )>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 10:03PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:01PM

People will disagree with this, and that's fine. All I can do is pass on my experiences. I would go with the St. Croix. I'm VERY happy with the things that Mud Hole does, and I've built on a lot of the original MHX blanks. I have 1, and only 1 cautionary thing to say. If you are going to fish braid on the bottom with that Hi-Mod, be dang careful how you set the hook. I have had 1 of those Hi-Mods, (the one I received had a very stiff tip) snap into several pieces in that situation. That's a lot of cash to have blow up in your hands.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.50.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:28PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matthew what units of measure would you suggest to
> use as a comparative "sensitivity" standard if
> someone chose to cover your bet? )>

How they feel in my hand when fishing them. How else would you go about it?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 08:17AM

That's pretty subjective. Sensitivity is a very hard claim to make.

Typically the lighter blank will have the sensitvity edge. What would make the heavier rod more sensitive in this case?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.sylv.nc.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 09:00AM

Assuming the best case scenario that they are roughly equivalent ... my cash would be spent on the US made product. Of course, my experience has been that the St Croix SCIII series is the best overall value on the market to the retail consumer. I have NEVER gone wrong using/recommending them for a wide variety of solutions.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:02AM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
> That's pretty subjective. Sensitivity is a very
> hard claim to make.

Not sure. If you fish two rod (blank) side by side. It can be easy to see which is more sensible. Just my opinion.

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
> Typically the lighter blank will have the
> sensitvity edge. What would make the heavier rod
> more sensitive in this case?
I don't think is simple as that.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:41AM

Eric MONTACLAIR Wrote:
> I don't think is simple as that.

I agree. In this case the two blanks are not the same, but if the heavier transmits vibrations more effectively, what's different about it that causes the increased vibration transmission?

Not saying it isn't possible, just asking for an explanation on how it's achieved.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 01:15PM

This could get quite interesting on a Friday -

Just hope it does not turn into a Follies Event!

This could turn into a very important thread.

Mathew since you are the only one to identify as a Pro Staff Member I will direct my questions to you.

The "feel" thing you noted earlier -

How much is related to the balance of the rod which is established by the selection and placement of components -

How much is related to in hand feel of "vibrations" -

If the latter, how can the "vibrations" be measured to compare one blank against another.

or

Is it left to the subjective capabilities of the angler?

This is a matter of concern to many at present.

Prediction:

Some will install a "Sensitivity Meter" in the butt of a rod soon!

You can connect it to your I Pad for calibration.

What unit of measure would you accept?

It could be called the I SEN and all those with I STUFF will jump on board with and buy another for their collection.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 01:29PM

Is that a prediction or foreshadowing? Don't let a kitty out of the bag until it's ready!

Maybe some of the ones who know some of this in and out will chime in. Good discussion we haven't had in a long time.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 02:52PM

I think some blank are more sensitive than other.

Sure the building as is part but the blank too (and I think a big part).

I think the type of carbon as is part as the bonding and other technique.
As tell as the design.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 04:24PM

Bill, are you into the Abitas this early in the day? Oh, I forgot about Cajun time!!!
Bill

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster