I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread
Posted by: Jack Fraser (---.fftp.comporium.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 04:49PM

Thanks alot guys for the info on making a old rod look new .The other question I have is about THREAD being new at this it can be confuseing. I find Standed tread mat\etallic thread braid thread sulky thread and metallic twist thread also you have A and D size I know that one is smaller then the other . All the rods I will be making will be bait cast rods for bass fishing Thanks again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 06:55PM

You can't beat Madeira thread for butt wraps. It packs really easy and lays nice when crossing. It is also really cheap. I buy online for 2.63 for 1100 yards. I haven't yet attempted it for guide wraps, but some use it. I normally use NCP A thread for guide wraps. No CP needed and the finish makes its way to the blank. I have some Sulky thread, but it seems week. It tends to break on me while packing.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:13PM

For bass rods I would use nothing larger than "A" or Maderia

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:18PM

Jack, while Madeira has many colors, it is not designed for rod building and special care should be given as it is treated with silicone to aid in high speed embroidery processes. FishHawk Threads (link to the left) is one of the few manufacturers to produce thread dedicated to rod building. FishHawk offers nylon thread twisted exclusively for rod building. Their metallic and silk threads are the very best in the world.
I believe you will find the "A" sized nylon and metallic threads are ideal for bass rods.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:27PM

I can't say enough about FishHawk!!! I was speaking with an individual who has MANY years in this industry and when he said " it is the best out there" I immediately proceeded to buy some.. He was NOT wrong, that stuff is great. I will be replacing my entire stock in Feb at the show this year!! If you have a specific color let me know and if I have some extra I will get it off to ya.

Tom

Posted by: Jack Fraser (---.fftp.comporium.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:06PM

Thank alot guys for the info on thread I'll try it

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2011 03:27AM

Fishhawk rocks!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 08:54AM

As a beginner I would stay away from the Madeira, Too much of a learning curve with the finish end and it stretches a little more. I agree the Fishhawk is a good place to start.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 11:28AM

Just wanted to mention that repairing a rod, especially an older one, and considering being a new builder, consider Sz "B" or "C" thread.
There is some limited availability of both from either National or Gudebrod.
The sz "B" is a littler thicker than the "A", and may be easier for you to wrap, but not as bulky as the sz "D".
And sz "C" is a nice compromise on bigger rods, instead of the "D".
Here is a link, with Gudebrod stock availability getting better day by day.
[www.schneidersrods.com]
As far as FishHawk, we are awaiting our first shipment and are excited to be a new distributor for them.
I have tried both the regular and metallic threads and they are excellant.
I believe the metallics are the best I've ever seen.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 03:34PM

While I haven't tried Fishhwak threads, I've been pretty pleased with Pro Wrap from Mudhole. It's available in a wide array of colors, coupled with their twist, new thread and their metallics they're pretty much my only thread anymore.
I'd caution against Maderia if you're new to wrapping as you can have a beautiful wrap but then ruin it with a bad finish job. If you go that route, a couple of coats of CP will help alleviate some of the issues with it.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 04:10PM

Fish Hawk is Amazing

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster