I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guided fishing trip
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 12:50PM

I am thinking of doing a guided trip on the Mosquito Lagoon in the Titusville, FL area. I have never done this before and am wondering what the tipping protocol is. The rates run from $350 to $450 a day. This is a significant cost. Is a tip required? If so is it dependant on how successful the trip was? I don't want to come off sounding like a cheapskate, but am curious what others do.

Thanks,

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guided fishing trip
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 01:26PM

Hi Herb,

I live about 35 mins from the Lagoon, I don't guide there but I do guide in Boca Grande for Tarpon May-June, Gators in the fall, and Bass in the Spring. From a guides perspective 'I can only speak for myself' a tip while not expected it is very appreciated. I see a tip as highly reflective of my performance, did I provide a top notch experience for my anglers? Did I deliver what they expected?.. That doesn't always mean did they catch every fish in the sea, the number of fish is often irrelevant, it is all about the way the captain carries himself, and keeps the clients happy while busting his butt to do everything he can to make the most of that particular day on the water. If a captain does that, then it is up to you to determine what that is worth. The average seems to be 15%

I will say that it means the world to us when our customers show much they appreciate the work that goes into delivering a top notch day on the water. There is A LOT more that goes into a day on the water than what clients see when they step onboard. $350-$450 is a chunck of money but all things considered, if you choose a top notch guide, you will get more than your money's worth.

I would highly suggest Capt. Tom Van Horn. for the lagoon. He isn't flashy, or have a 'killer' website, but he is a top notch guy and an even better guide. [www.irl-fishing.com]
Tell him Kevin Brotz sent you.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 03:58PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 02:26PM

Herb,
Guided Steelhead/Salmon trips in Michigan usually run pretty close to what you are paying and is for one or two anglers and 20% tip is the norm. They usually provide a tasty shore lunch and provide all the snacks and cold beverages. Not too bad if your sharing the expense with another angler. If it is a one angler trip I'm not sure what I would do, probably at least 10%.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 02:48PM

Tipping is just that, a tip. Several of my guide buddies work their tails off trying to put their clients on a fun trip, if they catch fish then it's a bonus. I know that sounds strange but if I'm fishing with the south end of a north bound mule, no amount of fish is worth my money. So me a good time, do your best and let the fish decide if they want to bite is all I ask of a guide. I also have friends like the aforementioned mule, he catches the devil out of fish and gets a lot of repeat business but nobody is ever smiling in the pictures. Your paying for the day, if the guide goes above and beyond tip him. If not, don't.
That's a lot of typing to say 15-20% is customary but I haven't paid for a trip in a while.

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.34.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 03:50PM

I've hired and worked with a few guides over the years. I have a method which serves me well. I have a figure in mind at the start of the day (usually $50) that I plan to tip at the end of the day. If things go well on all fronts that's what I give. I deduct from that number throughout the day for lousy service/performance. And its rarely about the quantity or quality of the fish caught. Demerits come from boat/equipment in poor shape; not ready to fish (rigging lines for 20 minutes); late for meetup; being anxious to get off the water; not being social (they don't have to be a Regis but I prefer fishing with interesting people), etc. Superior performance or trophy catches get bumps up from my starting point.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 04:41PM

I don't like idea of tipping. No one gives me tips for doing a good job, it is built into my fee. That being said, tipping is customary for guides and you might as well just add it to the fee when you are looking to hire one. I think 15% is customary and 20% if they do an exceptional job. So, if they quote you a rate of $350 to $450, you might as well assume they really mean $400 to $520.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.sylv.nc.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 05:57PM

I recommend Nathaniel Lemmon, he fishes 250+ days per year in that area. He has a great personality, which always adds to the experience. His rates can be found on his site and he is well worth his asking price. In respect to tipping, my standard is 20-25% ... with more of the latter. These guys work HARD and expenses run high these days.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.50.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 09:14PM

Since we're all recommending guides, Capt. Mike Hakala does a great job. He's designed and built rods, continues to build some of the finest spoons available and is an overall great guide.

[www.aquadreamliving.com]

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:54PM

for a trip like that $50 is what i would assume. depending on how well everything goes. its all up to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster