I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Action and speed....again.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 06:33AM

I prefer a fast action rod, one that initially flexes in the upper 1/3 of the blank. However, I want one with a "soft(?)" tip so as not to rip the lips off o'dem sacolait or jerk a crankbait out of a bass' mouth. Most crankbait rods I see are moderate action, initially flexing in the upper 1/2 of the blank. Not what I want. So, what characteristics of a blank will tell me that it does or should have a tip that is slower on recovery? I believe this is a reference to the speed of the blank but blanks are not labeled as a certain speed. Just power and action. Is there any one or combination of characteristics (i.e. taper , power/action, tip size, etc.) that will tell me what to expect from the blank with regards to speed? Or, do you have to get in a room full of blanks and try em all till you find what you're looking for.
Thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Action and speed....again.
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 06:39AM

You would then need to look into a fibergalss blank to have a slower reacting rod if you don't want a moderate action graphite crankbait blank.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:04AM

Sounds like you might be looking for a popping or live bait type blank. They tend to be fast actions but with "light" tips for casting fragile live baits. Something along the lines of the MHX P-842 would do a pretty good job for bass and inshore saltwater applications.
But, I could be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 01:28PM by matthew jacobs.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2011 08:07AM

Glass rods respond and react more slowly than most graphite rods. In a graphite, you'll have to look at not only a fast action, but a small diameter tip which could indicate that it's also a lighter, softer tip. You can also step back a few graphite generations to get little bit slower recover.

In answer to your main question, most companies don't list rod speed in their catalogs. Best you can do without the CCS frequency component is to try and deduce the relative speed from the material and whatever catalog description the manufacturer provides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 10:59AM

If you have Lamiglas rods in your area, check out the XC 704's action. Uses the LP 844 the fast action popping rod blank.
Rogue also makes a fast action popping rod blank of milder modulus, definitely soft tipped.
I've used them both for cranks and smaller treble hooked swimbaits, personal preference is the LP 844 or 904.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 11:04AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 11:04AM

Rogue doesnt offer popping blanks any longer. They cut a bunch of their line up.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 11:19AM

Greg,
I know exactly the rod type and style that you are searching for. But I will ask the question, why do you want this particular action for your rod?
What are you hoping to gain by having a rod with this action, speed and power?

The reason that I ask the question is that I have had other friends and fishermen ask me the same thing and we go fishing. We go through a bunch of different rods, with a variety of different actions and at the end of the day, virtually none of the folks are fishing with a rod like you describe, although I have some in the boat.

If you can answer the reason why you want this particular rod, perhaps I can send you in the direction to get this particular blank.

Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.19.---)
Date: October 20, 2011 11:52AM

Greg,

Take a look at a Batson ISJ781, or SJ781. The ISJ781 has a limber tip and fast action. The mid section of this blank feels a lot like the mid section of the CB66M, with the butt section being a tad more powerful. It makes a great crappie rod, that you can cast without changing your casting stroke much (when compared to other more powerful fast action rods). It also has the right power through the mid and butt sections for throwing light crankbaits and doing a good job of keeping the fish buttoned up.

Joe

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 01:53PM

Greg, maybe take a look at a fast action blank that you like but go a step down in power. The tip should still be just as fast, yet softer. I would suggest the ISJ series like Joe mentioned as well as the XSW series. I am a huge fan of the XSW's. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 01:53PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 03:31PM

Thanks guys.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2011 04:36PM

Greg
What size (weight) baits and what species are you fishing for?

Mr. Vanfossen has given you some good advice, but the models he noted may be a little light for some of the larger crank baits.
Personal I like a fast action popping blanks of differing strengths depending on the size of the crank bait being used

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 07:10PM

Batson RX8 blanks are what your looking for. I love them because the tips are like noodles with one heck of a strong back bone.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 08:16PM

Greg take a look at this:

Right on target in reply to your post.

When you get to the information please read The Rest of The Story - this issue has taken the past two years of my OCD life!

[rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster