I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best high build epoxy resin
Posted by: Paul Green (95.145.193.---)
Date: October 18, 2011 06:49PM

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the best high build epoxy resin.
I am going to start building some beachcasters and was just wondering what people use on here. Flex coat seems to have a good reputation but is there any more that are just as good and are there any cheaper ones that are as good as the more expensive ones.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best high build epoxy resin
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 07:33PM

You will get as many favorites as their are brands!! They all have their own characteristics but are essentially do the same job. In other words, they are all equally good as far as doing the job. IMO, the only downside to Flex Coat is that it yellows faster than any of the others which may or may not matter to you

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 08:53PM

THREADMASTER ALL THE WAY! Diamond II also yellows very quickly. Pro Kote is good for yellowing, but seems to take a long time to cure.

For the best of both worlds mix one cc of each hardener and resin from prokote and threadmaster for a unique finish. works really well if you mix it well!

Enjoy

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 09:03PM

I've used Flex Coat regular and lite, LS Supreme, Permagloss, and Threadmaster regular and lite. With Tom's finishing articles in RodMaker magazine on the drop, rotate, and wick off method - a hack rodmaker like me has managed to get some impressive results using two coats of Threadmaster Lite. For me it's like jumping to light speed

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 10:09PM

Threadmaster...

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 11:52PM

I second the threadmaster, I used it once and never turned back.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 08:58AM

Threadmaster x 1,000,000

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2011 11:21AM

Looks like you might have an answer. haha.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: October 19, 2011 11:26AM

Flexcoat is #1 in the commercial rod building industry for a reason.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 11:44AM

Threadmaster

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 12:10PM

Most of the builders in our area use Flexcoat and have no issues and see no reason to change.

Roger

Posted by: Paul Green (95.145.193.---)
Date: October 20, 2011 06:14AM

Thanks for all the replies does anyone know if threadmaster is available in the uk. If not I think I will try flexcoat.
Thanks
again for all the replies.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: October 20, 2011 09:57PM

Threadmaster

Posted by: ken khoo (---.078.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2011 01:22AM

Paul, don't be put off if you cant get Threadmaster where you live. I am in Perth Western Australia and there's no Threadmaster supply here. I ordered from US and it still landed here at reasonable price. The drying times and quality finish make it worthwhile. You won't regret trying it.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns4.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2011 09:10PM

Ken, try Ross at The Rodworks in Adelaide - he stocks Threadmaster and his service is exceptional.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 03:12AM

Prokote is a lighter finish but you get much better results so I say Prokote all the way.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Patrick Oliver (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2011 07:24PM

I see no mention of Aft-Cote. It is probably not in the 'High Build' catagory, but, I really like it - stays clear, flexible and strong with good release and easy to apply. Draw back is drying time., usually 5 to 6 hours on dryer. I would guess this equals replacing dryer motor more often.

anyway, just my 2 cents,
Patrick Oliver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster