I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WHAT????YELLOWING!!! AFTER ONE WEEK?
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 03:56PM

HEY GUYS!
I did my first bit of marbling work, and it turned out beautiful! One of the coats I put on, seemed to not have been mixed well, or maybe not equal parts? Anyhow I put some more coats on and it looked good and the finish was rock hard (THREADMASTER). I go back today after a week to finally pick up the rod from the corner of my room behind a vanity like thing (antique that my parents just shoved in my room) and this morning when i picked it up, I noticed that it was yellow on the 270 axis. I was puzzled!! I thought I was seeing things due to lack of sleep!! Picked up the rod again... Yeah, I wasn't seeing anything... it was yellowed, i had white pigment in the marbling and you could tell it wasn't that white! Then I go over to my rod lathe to look at the leftover epoxy that dripped off and was on the aluminum base!! SOME OF THE DROPLETS WERE YELLOWED!!! PRESUMING IT WAS FROM THE SAME COAT THAT YELLOWED! BUT HOW COULD THAT BE THAT ONLY ONE OF THE COATS OF FINISH YELLOWED!! IM LOST! What really puzzles me is that the marbling area was not even in the light because it was behind the vanity.. I think I've lost my mind!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!

Gabe
Jr. NERB aka... Billy V's PITA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHAT????YELLOWING!!! AFTER ONE WEEK?
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 04:02PM

Sounds like a bad batch of final coating. what brand was it? I literally just got done with a marbling project and did not have that issue. But im die hard with prokote

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 18, 2011 04:35PM

Gabe,
How long have you had the finish? We have the highest UV inhibitors in the industry hands down, but even after time ours also starts to yellow to a degree, but remains clearer then any other on the market. Send me a PM and I will try to help you figure out what could have happened.
Thanks
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2011 04:40PM

Age has as much or more to do with epoxy ambering or yellowing as anything else. You can put epoxy in a dark closet and it will still yellow nearly as quickly as if you had left it out in natural light. The "new" batch of finish you order and receive this week, may already be several months old.

I have no idea what type of pigment you used to tint the epoxy with, but if it was paint pigment, then the solvent itself may have contributed to the discoloration.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 05:32PM

Gabe,
What was the purchase date on the finish?
What was the date of manufacture on the finish?

Age yellows.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 18, 2011 08:47PM

Thank you all, but my biggest issue is that only one section of the wrap yellowed, and its funny because it only happened on one of the coats. Weirdest thing ever!! I LOVE Threadmaster! My FAVORITE finish. But I can't seem to conclude how that could have happened... Absolutely no clue of how old it is, but i have had it for under 9 months. Probably 8 or so.
Thanks

Gabe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2011 09:36PM

Adding pigments, of any kind, into an epoxy is not recommended by the manufacturer. My guess is that something in the pigment is the cause.

Date: October 18, 2011 10:29PM

Thank you Tom,
but here is my dilemma... There are drops of epoxy on my rod building lathe that are from the same coat, and they are also very yellow! PUZZLING!

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 10:37PM

A contamination issue during application? A change of brushes before finishing that wrap?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 19, 2011 01:34AM

Gabe; Did you mix it with the plastic handle of a throw away brush??
The colored plastic handles will melt right into the finish and color it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 01:45AM

Hm,

I marble extensively and your problem has never come up in my experimentation's, in fact to this day all the rods I have built have had at least 100 plus hours in the sun and in use and no yellowing to date. I would start by looking at your products used. I haven't tried Thread master finish as of yet, I am satisfied with flex-coat products for my marbling. There are many finish coat products folks use and are successful with marbling effects. I don't use testors paint for a pigment base for One good reason! It has a solvent base in the paint that is not compatible with some epoxy finishes in fact most of them. They tell you to be careful when using Testors and not to get to that settled solvent. Personally, its risky using it and for the money you put into the rod with parts and finish I am not willing to take the risk.

I am not sure what pigment base your using here Gabe? I use CRB Marbling Pigments which are designed for using with epoxy finish. I would recommend those pigments to anyone trying there first attempt at a marbling application on there blank. I know folks use Testors for marbling and are successful at it but I am assuming here, they are very experienced at getting it out of the bottle correctly. There are several powder base pigments that work well. Anglers workshop have a selection and I have tried them with excellent results, I am sure there are vendors on our side list who carry them as well.

My best guess at your delima since the whole finish application was not yellow and only certain areas were effected and you used Testors paint for a pigment it may have gotten some of that solvent in the mix. That's my best guess at the moment. I hope this helps in solving your issue good luck Gabe!

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: October 19, 2011 07:03AM

Used the CRB custom marblling kit, and i mixed it with a metal spatula too! THIS IS DRIVING ME BANANAS!

Date: October 19, 2011 07:03AM

Used the CRB custom marblling kit, and i mixed it with a metal spatula too! THIS IS DRIVING ME BANANAS!

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2011 04:19PM

Roger at Flex Coat once told me that finish that wasn't mixed well will yellow much faster. It would make sense especially if the UV inhibitors are actually in one part. You did say that possibly one of your coats didn't mix well. Just a thought.

Date: October 19, 2011 05:54PM

I asked Scott @Roddancer that same question. Im assuming its that.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2011 03:00PM

Heya Gabe,

If that was the case and you did use the CRB kit, I would go with what you implied earlier about your mixing of that epoxy. Its stands to reason that it may have been a faulty mixing error. It happens when your in the middle of things and you say to your self: was that even on the hardener and the epoxy ? When I do it.... I just throw it out and start a new batch... LOL I cant take the risk . Well I hope the next one goes well for you. Good day to everyone!

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 03:07AM

I have used all of the epoxy's and I have found that Flex Coat yellows the most right from the start and gets even worse with time,Tried Master tends to be clear but it also tend's to crack at the guide feet with age I have found Prokote to be the clearest epoxy out there and the best epoxy there is but it sometime gets a bad rap as some people think that it takes a long time to dry well Prokote dries hard in about 2 to 3 day's and if you are really looking for that rock hard you will be hard set not to let any finish dry for at least 2 days so I say try Prokote as it is the clearest epoxy of them all and letting is dry is not big deal like some people make it out to be so I say ProKote all the way!

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster