I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand made rod wrapper
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 15, 2011 03:16PM

I built an handmade rod wrapper (I have used a motor from Merrick Tackle), it works well but it is a bit fast ! To reduce the speed I bought a rheostat switch (spare part from American tackle) to install that between the motor and the pedal. Now my rheostat come with only two wire and I don't know how to install that. Does anyone help me? Is it possible share a schematics diagram ?
Thanks in advance for help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand made rod wrapper
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2011 05:35PM

You hook the two wires up in line with your hot wire. If your cord is a twin wire, one should be ribbed. This is the neutral. You want to cut the other wire which is your hot and connect the rheostat wires, one to each end. I used a regular light dimmer switch on mine, but it didn't work well. Seemed like it lost torque. Maybe due to using two rheostats in series. One being the foot pedal. I abandoned the whole set up because the speed control was to sensitive. However, my parts were pieced together. A light dimmer, sewing machine motor and foot pedal. No reduction pulleys. I know use a 1/2in drill, but loose the ability to turn by hand easily. Which is fine for me since I normally use a hand wrapper. Hope this helps, maybe someone will chime in with experience on your specific products.

Assuming your in the US or using a 120V system

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 05:37PM by Brandon Gay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2011 07:00PM

Marco,
The best thing to do, if you stay with this motor is to add a couple more stages of speed reduction.
You just need some pulleys, belts and bearings to further reduce the speed.

If you want to use the speed control, cut one of the AC wires that go to the motor and put your speed control in series with the one single wire that you have cut as was posted earlier.

Roger

Date: October 15, 2011 07:02PM

This was one of the first AC power units that I made, using a couple of pulleys and belts to get the speed down.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip101.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 16, 2011 05:09AM

Thanks guy for your support, this is a great forum!

for Brandon: Yes i use a 120V system, thank you for your electrical explanation.

for Roger: My rod wrapper has a couple of pulley to reduce the speed, with rheostat I want have better control of it.

Date: October 16, 2011 11:07AM

Marco,
When you bought the motor, did it come with a foot controller?

I do agree with you on the use of an inline speed controller.
When I used to use sewing machine motors for my wrappers, I used a foot pedal speed control for the speed, but I also had an inline speed control to further reduce the speed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 16, 2011 01:51PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marco,
> When you bought the motor, did it come with a foot
> controller?
>
> I do agree with you on the use of an inline speed
> controller.
> When I used to use sewing machine motors for my
> wrappers, I used a foot pedal speed control for
> the speed, but I also had an inline speed control
> to further reduce the speed.
>
> Good luck
> Roger

Yes Roger, did it come with a foot controller. Thank you.

Date: October 17, 2011 10:19AM

Marco,
One thing that I did to make my speed controller a bit more universal was to insert it into one line of an extension cord.

I went to the hardware store and picked up a 6 foot extension cord for about $2.

Then, I went to about the middle of the cord, split the two conductors apart, and cut one of the conductors.

Then I simply wired the speed controller to each end of the cut extension cord wire.

I insulated all of the wiring, used heat shrink tubing to take care of the extra wiring and the job was complete.

Now, when using the controller, simply plug the wrapper plug into the end of the extension cord.
Plug the extension cord into the wall.

Put the wrapper pedal all of the way to the floor, and then dial down the speed to what you need by use of the speed control - control knob. Double check the low end to be sure that you still have the starting torque that you need. If you need a bit more starting torqe, just turn up the dial on your speed controller a bit and you will be in good shape to go.

Be safe

Roger

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip113.fastwebnet.it)
Date: October 17, 2011 04:32PM

Roger,
you gave me a great help with yor answer. Very clear I'll follow your suggestion.

Be sure I'll be safe.
Thank you again
Ciao
Marco

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster