I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does it really matter wheather you wrap your guides on a #40 class saltwater rod in D thread instead of A?
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2011 09:30AM

I always wrap my guides in D thread on my saltwater rods. I know that its the final coat that holds the guide to the rod, but I like to think that the type and or size of thread has some sort of purpose, other than whats obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 09:32AM by Andrew Cake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does it really matter wheather you wrap your guides on a #40 class saltwater rod in D thread instead of A?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.131.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2011 09:40AM

Does it matter? Only if you wrap by hand.

Re: Does it really matter wheather you wrap your guides on a #40 class saltwater rod in D thread instead of A?
Date: October 12, 2011 09:54AM

Elaborate.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 12, 2011 10:00AM

I always us "D" on bigger frame guides.... Go for it ! No Problem ! !
Jeff

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2011 10:01AM

I think he means that A is thinner then D and takes more turns to fill the same 1/2" then D making D a lot more faster to wrap the same area Buy hand that is

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 12, 2011 10:19AM

thank you bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 10:19AM by Andrew Cake.

Date: October 12, 2011 10:32AM

I would wrap one of those with D I am finding that D does not at all look that bad or thick on even lighter rods

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 12, 2011 10:34AM

But even if I went with an A thread it wont affect overall durability of keeping the guides to the rod?

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: October 12, 2011 11:05AM

I've post this here many times before so I won't give all the details of the experiment. Those that want to see them should be able to find them in the archives.

A 1/2" long wrap of A is more than strong enough. I did a series of tesst with an Aftco #41 wrapped with a single 1/2" long wrap of A (and no finish), where I pulled the guide off the rod. In every case what allowed the guide to be removed from the rod was the guide frame deforming. The wraps never failed.

Conclusion: wrap with A if you think that looks best. Wrap with D if you want to save time. Either way it doesn't matter, they are both strong enough. I guess you could argue that A would save weight, but would it save enough weight to matter on most slatwater rods?

Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2011 11:06AM

Andrew,
From a strength difference, there is not a lot of difference with the size thread you use. i.e. thick thread has fewer wraps compared to thinner thread that has more wraps.

However, if you are wrapping rods that get a lot of abuse, like rail rods, many folks have found that the thicker thread can give a bit more durablity to the rod.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2011 01:16PM

Andrew, you'll be fine either way as mentioned above. If it is a dark color D won't show much different than A and will wrap much quicker.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2011 07:09AM

Hi,

I think it helps to be 70 + years old to understand this topic.

Back in the early 1950s I would have the job of re varnishing the wraps on my Father's rods. The sun and salt water would erode the finish every year. After cleaning up the wraps I would stick my finger in the rod varnish and apply it to the wraps. In those days the heavy duty salt water rods had an under wrap, a guide wrap and a top wrap, A-D and E thread.

Today we have 2 part epoxy that is fantastic. I bet you can place this finish over any kind of wraps and the guides will stay in place.

Using A thread will sometimes look like a paint job and I like that. Of course D thread shows the threads.

These days I use E thread as a means to cut eva grips.

Bottom line----use what works best for you and gives you pleasure.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 13, 2011 09:38AM

Andrew Cake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I know that its the final coat that holds the guide to the rod, but I like to think that the type and or size of thread has some sort of purpose

I think most folks missed this part of the original post.

I believe the OP may have a misconception here. I don't want to speak out of turn as I have been known to say the complete opposite of what is true at times :=)

...but, the thread IS what holds the guide to the rod. Your finish is only for protection. It is not an adhesive. This is in reference to epoxy finish.

You guys PLEASE correct me if this concept is wrong. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 09:40AM by Jay Lancaster.

Date: October 13, 2011 09:50AM

You are correct Jay

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 13, 2011 09:53AM

FWIW; I read somewhere that a same length wrap using A size thread is stronger than using D size thread because of the number of turns of thread in the wrap. C2

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2011 10:08AM

Yes, the epoxy finish is to protect the thread. I also look at the epoxy finish as an adhesive as it binds the thread and guide to the blank.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: October 13, 2011 12:58PM

Neil,
I agree that the epoxy also acts an adhesive to hold the thread in place, and to adhere the thread to the blank.
I further agree that the main strength of the guide attachment is by the thread and not the epoxy.

Roger

Date: October 13, 2011 06:29PM

Put CP on before finish and adhesion goes out the door

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 13, 2011 07:16PM

I really appreciate all the response to this discussion. Thank you all who responded. Your insight has made me look at it in a new light. Thank you again!

Date: October 14, 2011 11:58AM

Bill,
I agree 100%. That is one of the reasons that I very very seldom ever use CP.

Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster