I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I decided which of these blanks from their "data"?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 02:40PM

Unless I run across a bargain on a used rod, I'm probably going to build a 9' 10wt for stripping streamers to Salmon. Price is not an issue (within reason), I can live with fast action, must be a 2 piece, and landabilty of a feist Salmon in swift river currents is paramount. These are all listed as 10 wts ranging from mod-fast to fast and I probably would not notice a .4oz difference in weight.

But by comparing butt diameters and tip sizes, is there any "reading between the lines" that points towards a stout butt section? The Mudhole MHX is the only one with CCS data that lists the ERN for the MHX at 11.12 with an AA about 67, (I just noticed their 9wt lists an ERN of 10.24, AA of 68 hmm . . .) I can't figure out how to spread the data out.

Brand Model Butt dia Tip dia Wt Action

Batson RX6 F9010 .487" 5 2.75oz Mod-Fast $72

AT AM9010-2 .449" 5.5 2.6oz Mod-Fast $83

Batson RX7 IF9010 .510" 6.5 2.75oz Med-Fast $88

Mudhole F9010-MHX .386" 4.5 2.3oz Fast $105

Lamiglas GF 108 10 .550" 5 2.6oz Mod-Fast $108

St Croix 42F9010.2 .430" 4 2.3oz Fast $120

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I decided which of these blanks from their "data"?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 02:58PM

Tim,
Read the post below by Kevin Gross. That rod took a real beating before it gave up the ghost. He says 10 wt but doesn't give the blank #. Maybe drop him an email.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2011 03:03PM

You can't necessarily judge power by the butt diameter - diameter plays an important role but it's not the only thing that creates or affects power. Wall thickness, material, etc., all play a role. So a comparison of power based on butt diameters isn't likely to work very well. It's possible that the blank with the smallest butt diameter on your list may be the most powerful.

You can, however, accurately judge relative power by ERN. The higher the number, the more powerful the blank will be. Since overall power is largely a factor of the power in the lower 1/2 of the rod, this is a sound means of judging which one is most powerful in the butt area.

Lacking access to the CCS numbers, you'll have to either guess, or rely on the opinions of others that may have owned one or more of those rods.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 07:57PM

Why the insistence on a 2 piece?

I've salmon fished in Alaska every year for the last ten and never once regretted having a 4 piece rod. It's more convenient in every circumstance and has no down sides.

What kind of salmon are these that you will be fishing for?

Of the ones you list, I would have a slight bias toward the St Croix but don't have any data to back it up. Based on the 2 MHx rods I've made, I would say that would be good too, but doubt there are any "bad" rods on your list.

Good luck with your project.

One more thing....you need 2 rods to fish for salmon. Just sayin'.

Drew

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2011 08:58PM

I have a few Batson fly rods and have sold a few also. Nothing but good reports on the Batson. The most recent was an F905 - 4pc. and the owner really likes it. It's only a 5 wt. though. Do a search for those blanks and you will probably find some comments on at least some of them.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Re: How do I decide which of these blanks from their "data"?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 09:41PM

Thanks Drew, I have a Sage RPLXi 9wt but I like to be prepared - plus a 10wt gives me the opportunity to build another rod! Whether the majority here say there's no difference in a 2pc versus a 4pc, in my own mind physics tells me otherwise. The 2 extra ferrules has to add weight (specs indicate 4 pc blanks weigh more to begin with), has to dampen the action (it's physically impossible to sleeve two sections together and it not "stiffen" that area slightly), and I don't need the convienece. I tote either a 10' Batson XSF spiral wrap or a 9 1/2' GLoomis GL3 spinning rod to the river when we wade, when I take the boat they go into the rod holder.

I think I've built 6 or so Batson blanks so I'm very familiar with them. I built my wife a new Salmon rod from a Batson but she won't fish it - she prefers this 7 1/2' lighter weight Batson that I got at a closeout for about $35. I made it for the grandkids with a smaller realseat and grip. She landed her first Salmon with it and won't use any other rod - go figure. So my quest is for a great 10wt blank in a two piece.

They do make a 1 piece MHX 10wt that would really be my first choice but that would be a bear to tote around. Unless I'm able to put my hands on these blanks I'm probably going to go with the St Croix - it's a SCIV and this is based solely on their reputation, even though I like the Batsons that I have already.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 07:51AM by Tim Collins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster