I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RX8+S822.5 guide suggestions
Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.97.169.---)
Date: October 11, 2011 10:05AM

Hi guys.
Im new here..may I ask you, , what are you think about guides, that will fit the most this blank..In matter of sizes,material and spacing. It will be a casting rod ..for fishing with jigheads between 1/16 and 1/4, most often. And also , if you can tell me the smallest guide that allows me to use fluorocarbon leader with braided main line(knot on the line, that must pass trough the guides), and to have no snagging when I cast..And cause impediment in casting distance.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RX8+S822.5 guide suggestions
Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 11, 2011 10:11AM

The Batson web page can give you the specifications you are looking for to build on this awesome blank. They have the guide placements, guide sizes and suggested components for the build.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.97.169.---)
Date: October 11, 2011 10:19AM

Thank you Randy..but on Batson's web page..I found just spin guides placement for this blank..no casting gudes. Maybe its not ok for use this blank for buid a casting rod..thats why?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.19.---)
Date: October 11, 2011 10:26AM

My personal RX8+S822.5, was my first build, and is a spiral wrapped casting rod. The guides were placed according to Steve Gardner's recommendation. The spacing in cm between each guide starting from the tip is 8-9-10-11-13-15-17-19-24. The guide sizes are 6mm double foot, and single foot flies in 5mm, 4mm, 3mm to the tip. I primarily cast 1/8-1/4oz. jig heads and grubs with it. A 1/16oz. jig head is pushing it a bit for this blank as a casting rod, but, with a bass sized plastic, it can handle it. Not so much with the panfish sized grubs.

If you insist on using the leader, I would probably swap out all of the single foot flies to 5mm guides to pass the connection.

[edit] Some people have success passing leaders through 4mm guides, but since I rarely use them, I've never been able to make a connection that passes through the small guides well.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 10:28AM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2011 12:47PM

Great Choice of Blank! One of the best out there in my opinion. I personally wouldn't go less than a size 6, maybe a size 7 if you are contantly running your leader through the guides. I'd have to have a ring pop while you're out on the water. I would avoid bringing the knot through the guides if at all possible, unless you are using a long leader and have to.

A lot of builders use the length of the rod +1 to determine the # of guides they will use. Once you have this roughed out you can either build it as is, or you can take it a step further and tape the guides on the blank, put your reel in the seat and run the line through the guides. Flex the blank and look for any sharp angles, adjusting the guides if need be and possibly adding or removing one. You can even cast and test different layouts if you want. It is up to you how far you want to take it

As far as guide choice and sizing there are many routes you could go such as mentioned above. A more traditional route might suggest size 10,8,7, double foot casting 'xlxnzg' or xlxnlg would be my suggestion depending on budget' and then run XPTCFZG OR (XPTCFLG) 7,7,6,6,6 with an xtcppzt6/5.0 top

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Feel free to give us a call 407-542-7840 if we can be of anymore help.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 12:52PM

Joe nailed it down pretty well with Steve's setup. I also have the same rod built but my guides are a little unique. Steve sent me the set with running guides going down to 2mm's. One AWESOME lightweight setup! Here is mine: [www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 01:43PM

Mr. Gabriel:

Another Option For Your Consideration.

Find a seller of micro rods nearby. If you are lucky you will find a custom builder or bass tournament fishemen who has direct experience with the knot situation you describe.

Learn in five minutes how to properly tie the fluoro/braid connection with an Albright Special knot.

[www.netknots.com]

This knot only uses two thickness of line as opposed to the Uni Knot which mahy of us used in the early stages of the micro guide rods.

Tie the knot where it goes past the butt guide to the spool - during the cast it will be up to velocity when the knot gets to the guides.

You will quickly discover you can use "micro guides" in the smaller sizes without interference.

The time you spend learning the knot skills will allow you to use a better rod using the smallest guides that WILL pass the knot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 01:45PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 02:18PM

In my opinion a blank as light and sensitive as that particular one, using as many double ft guides as stated above will only serve to dampen the sensitivity and add extra weight that you certainly don't want to add. If I were building that rod for myself I would use a double ft sz 5.0 Fuji BLCAG5J and then go straight to Fuji BKTAG4Js the rest of the way.

In your case using leaders I would go with a double ft BLNAG sz 6 then go to BKTAG5J sz 5 guides the rest of the way. That particular blank, as light as it is, should be built using the lightest components you can get by with for maximum performance.

We have those blanks in stock so if we can help you out with the blank and your components please get in touch with us.

Lance

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.102.---)
Date: October 11, 2011 05:30PM

Thank you so much all of you, for those qiuck and very precise asnwers.
I found a lot of help in them :)...i mean a LOT. A great community here..I appreciate that.
I'm aware of the sizes of the guides, exactly becouse of the thiness of this blank(thank you for who was offering me, but I already have one in my possession),and the spacing, especially on the 1/4 from the top, 'couse it's a veritable x-fast with a very fine top section.
From your posts, I made my mind and I think I will go down to 4 size, maybe 3(I'm so sure ...right? :) )

And yes, I don't want to give up that leader, 'couse of the waters I usually fishing on..they are cristal clear. Forgot to say, I use 8-10 lb. braided with 6-8 lb fluoro.

About the spiral...actually its a good point(I was thinking about before my first post here)...but is it a good choice, combined with micros or almost micros ..considering my leader knot passing trough them?

Thank you again, for your support guys..I was amazed of the consistence of your posts...Thanks alot :)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2011 05:53PM

Glad you made the choice that you did. There is much on the plate of competitive anglers seeking the best set ups. Many times in crystal clear water the off feeding cycle bite on moving baits, cranks, the new braids can be tied directly to the lure. Watch the shows and you will see various color tints of braid being employed by the touring professionals. Most fresh water fishermen really stretch the definition of the word leader - to many this can mean a swivel and a snap.-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster