I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

If you could use just one blank
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2011 10:26AM

So this is just for fun and kind of a personal research experiment. For you builders, out of all the blanks you have personally built and used, what is your favorite, the specs and why? This isn't species specific. It could have been a blank you used for bass, tuna, muskee,ect; verticle jigging, trolling, plugging, what have you. I'm looking forward to hearing your responses!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you could use just one blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 10:48AM

Andrew,
My favorite blank is the one that works best for the fish species that I am targeting.

It is the 5 1/2 foot ultra light blank that I used for the rod that was built for pan fish.

It is the 6 1/2 foot medium light blank that I used for the rod that was built for Walleye.

It was the 7 1/2 foot medium heavy blank that I used for a Bass spinner bait rod.

It was the 7 foot medium light popping rod that I used to toss shrimp in the bay.

It was the 8 foot Ex heavy blank that I used to build the rod when fishing for sturgeon.

It was the 9 foot 3 weight that I used for western rainbow trout .

Or perhaps best of all, it was the 12 foot cane pole that my grandmother used when she was teaching me to fish for perch at the end of the dock with a nail for weight and a worm for bait along with sewing thread for line.

"This" rod was my favorite rod.

Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 07:13PM

I can think of a lot of kinds of fish I could catch with a blank similar to the St Croix 3/4/5C70MHF.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 07:19PM

Bstson for me!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 09:16PM

I have three I have to mention.

One is an ultra-light Fenwick bougth in the early 70's. It was used in deep water Tenn lakes for white bass and I could feel a 1/16 jig bounce off rocks in 40 feet of water. Since returning to Miami area if has been used as a sabiki bait rod often. While a couple of pound blue runner/goggle eye is fun I can't tell you the number of decent sized barracuda that have inhaled a bait right at the boat that have been landed. I have even managed a keeper grouper on it once. It seems unbreakable and with EVA grips, anodized seat, and foul proof guide looks more like a 5.5 foot surf caster...LOL. It has so overperformed in so many roles it deserves mention.

I have probably bought more live bait blanks that any thing else. From about 15# class up they can do it all in the salt. Light limber tips to protect delicate baits while casting, and prevent hook pull out on soft mouths, coupled with ultra fast action tapers and solid lock ups. They have what it takes to pump monsters up from death spirals and cast any offerings to a fish on the top. They troll great too. From Sabre to callstar, seeker, lamigals, and now names like baston and phenix they have all been "do all" rods.

If I could only have one to fish everywhere for anything I'd pick a St. Croix SC2 inshore in medium power between 7 and 8 feet.. Light and sensitive enough to catch fresh water fish on 8# yet powerful enough to tangle with a good sized dolphin or sailfish. They are a little stiff in the tip for a crankbait rod but otherwise the perfect spin/jig rod that can do it all from top to bottom of water column.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 12:15PM

7' G Loomis P8400. I use mine for both fresh water & inshore salt water. Caught a False Albacore yesterday that was about 15lbs. What a fight and great all around rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 03:22PM

G Loomis P844 GLX or St Croix 5S70MF-B ... both are very universal in nature and very well designed.

Date: October 12, 2011 09:36AM

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I wish more had participated, but not everyone has a favorite I guess.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2011 10:41AM

I have loved the St Croix SCIV fly rods Mind this was a while back and one was a 2 piece 9 ft 5 wt another a 7 wt Fast action blanks The 5 I liked with a 6 wt line on it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 12, 2011 10:50AM

Bill, if you dont mind, can you explain what the WT sizes determine in a fly rod? Im not a fly fisherman nor will I ever be one, I just would like to understand what it specifys.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2011 12:19PM

Fly fishing is fun You should try it You get into your own world Very relaxing

A fly rod or blank has to carry weight just like a spin rod carries lure weight and each blank is rated to a line weight that Should work well to cast and load that particular blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 12, 2011 12:51PM

Basically Andrew you cast the weight of the line. In general the bigger and more wind resistant the fly is the heavier weight fly line you need in order to cast it. Windy conditions might also require moving up the a heavier weight line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 13, 2011 07:28PM

oh I see. thats very interesting. when i was a kid, i had a fly rod that had this cool reel with a trigger like device, and once you compressed this trigger, the reel would automatically reel the line in. it was very cool. but i lost interest in it after like a day. hahaha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster