I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brass ferrule stuck together
Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 01:15PM

I recently picked up a two piece rod from my neighbor. It is a corolon rod with a brass ferrule. The rod has been outside for the last 10-15 years and the ferrule wont come apart. Dont have any experience with these and was wondering what is the best way to get the ferrule apart? I prefer to be able to use the same ferrule so I dont want to damage it.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brass ferrule stuck together
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2011 02:17PM

You may be in for a tough time if it's been outside for that long.

Try putting a cold bag of ice on it for a half hour. Although, I suspect in this case, corrosion is the problem and if so, the cold treatment isn't going to do it.

Failing that, you can try any good penetrating oil around the ferrule joint, from where it may seep into the assembly and do some good. Maybe. Give it plenty of time to work - at least overnight.

Date: October 08, 2011 03:06PM

Thanks, Tom. Ill try those suggestions.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 03:20PM

I have used CRC Knock'er Loose penetrating solvent, it is made to dissolve rust and corrosion . I have had good results with it . Like Tom said give it plenty of time to work. Don't rush it... You might have to us a couple of applications.I have used this on my boat all the time to free up parts from salt water corrosion . It has worked for me.. Good luck.. <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 03:44PM

This may help. This is from Machinist Workshop magazine.

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Independent testing of penetrating oils using a single steel bar with 1/2”x20 nuts torqued to 50 ft/lbs and treated with a 10% salt water solution that was allowed to rust. Listed are the chemicals and required removal torque.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Posted by: Paer Domeij (---.mobileonline.telia.com)
Date: October 08, 2011 05:26PM

We renovated an old outboarder, brass and steel screws in brass. The outstanding best chemicals tested and used, was warm CocaCola. Must be used before all oil products.

PwD
Lapland by the Arctic Cirkle

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 10:12PM

ATF and acetone sounds sounds good ill give it a try my self.
I have used CRC Knock'er Loose just hang so the stuff can seep in give a good 2-3 applacations and at least 2 days and mine slipped loose no problum and it set out side for 4 years before i got to it.
Herman

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 08, 2011 10:58PM

Hi Rufus,
Some heating and cooling along with the ATF-acetone mix might also help. Just be careful not to over heat.
The heating and cooling will probably break the bond that's holding them on the blank and they'll probalbly come off. You can then immerse them in a container with the ATF-acetone mix for a few days without fear of the acetone damaging the blank. You may have to turn down a couple of pieces of dowel to to fit in the ferrules to maintain their shape while your trying to separate them. They'll also be easier to clean up if you can get them apart.
Let us know how you get on as you never know when one of us will face a similar problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 11:53PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 07:57AM

I would also suggest to cover or mask the rod as best you can Especially with the acetone

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 09, 2011 09:55AM

Thanks everybody for the help. Illlet you know how it turns out.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 10:14AM

I realize that you want to save the Ferrule, but sometimes it is better to cut your loses and move on.

I suspect that the current Ferrules that are on the rod, are quite corroded and rough on both the inside and outside of each one. As a result, even if you do get them apart, you will never have the fit and finish of a new Ferrule, so their use will be difficult and unattractive in the future anyway.

The quick and easy way out is to use a dremel tool to split the Ferrule and remove it from the other section.
Then, use the dremel to take the other Ferrule off of the rod.

Use a caliper to measure the diameter of the end of each piece of blank at the joint, order a new Ferrule set.

For example:

[www.mudhole.com]

Put on a new pair of Ferrule's and move on.

Roger

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 10:51AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: October 09, 2011 10:40AM

As sugested there are probably a number of products to helpbreak this loose, however Roger has given you the best advice in my opinion. This is not a classic rod and the ferrules are not paticularly expensive. Cut them loose and replace them is the quick and easy way, then move on to renovating the rod.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2011 11:41PM

You shouldn't even have to cut them off, just use a small amount of heat while applying pressure and they should come loose pretty easy, just like removing a tip.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster