I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GIANT THANK YOU DENNIS DANKU
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2011 05:27PM

A GIANT HUGE MASSIVE THANK YOU TO DENNIS DANKU!
ALL I DID WAS REQUEST ONE SPOOL OF VARIEGATED THREAD...BUT NO HE WENT OUT OF HIS WAY. SENT ME PROBABLY 30 SPOOLS OF THREAD AND A FUJI HAT AND A PERMAGLOSS CONTAINER! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING SO GENEROUS!

Gabe!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GIANT THANK YOU DENNIS DANKU
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 05:49PM

Hay Dennis I need a spool of thread -- LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 05:53PM

Hay Dennis I need a spool of thread -- LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 07:34PM

Dennis is a good guy. Hopefully you'll get to meet him at a NERBs Gathering.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 09:50PM

Hey Gabe....is that thread a great match for a particular lamiglass blank that was on closeout at a particular vendor that you raved about enough that I bought all the remaining stock??? You know I Really need some nice thread for them. I'm calling in all my markers and one of my best buds said his son won't let him part with his old stock of Rice and Holland.....rats!!!!

Got anything nice you can spare? I have four blanks to wrap....eight guides each, all double foot. You have my email addy.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 01:25AM

Bill, Gabe deserves a little credit for what He's doing at such a young age. I just think what others are doing wrong because of the peer pressure or the surroundings growing up in. That's why I did it! No thanks necessary' just pass it on.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: October 08, 2011 01:34AM

Bill,What size , what color, and how much.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 08, 2011 01:46AM

Hi Dennis,
I think you just made a friend for life. You deserve credit for being so generous and it's great to see a young guy getting involved in rodbuilding, they're desperately needed as the "old farts" aren't going to last forever.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: October 08, 2011 02:20AM

Hey Col, Yea I agree, most farts dissipate rather quickly but, if you ever had my chili... ah the magic is in the beans.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: October 08, 2011 03:19AM

:)

Date: October 08, 2011 09:55AM

Russel, i cant see why that would not match. you could wrap it in pink for all i know. anything you have will work. im pretty sure the blank is black or grey so let ur imagination run wild!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 10:51AM

My problem is I'm just a hobby builder type who only builds for myself. As a result I never built up a stock of thread. Now that the brand we all liked and used isn't availiable I don't know which brand to trust.

Gabe, keep what you have. From your posts I never would have guessed you were a young one. It was a nice gift and some of the really old thread is truly special and we will probably never see the likes of it again. It was really said more in jest and mostly I was fishing for info on what colors you plan to use. I stink at picking colors. Four rods, three with black channel lock seats and perfection ball gimbals, one in silver. All have 8" slick butts. One will see a tyrnos 10 (gunmetal color), one a saltist 30 (black and gold), one maybe a baja special (black and chrome).

A couple will be a gift for the elevator repair guy from work. He is paying for parts only. Some one stole his rods and he has been a big help over the years. It started off with black on black eva and graphite seat stealth look hoping to come in near a $100 per rod. Once I showed him the aluminum/slick butt set up he had to have it. I'm now up to nearly $800 in parts/shipping alone:)

I added a lot of weight for the line class of the rod but they do look stunning. Daughter and her theatre group said baja special must go on the silver reel seat one. As one guy put it, "Dude I don't fish but that is seriously bad a**, It looks like excalibur's sword". LOL! Boy did I blow the budget and I sure see why you guys need to get a few hundred for something nice looking.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 08, 2011 12:22PM

LOL!!!

honestly, you can trust just about any thread company you choose. its all about preference. I use prowrap, but if you get the nylon thread, go with the size D. i dont like their metalliic as much because it flies off the spool and u end up loosing a lot of thread. very springy. just hard to work with. Gudebrod came back as like weltec or something idk.
go to mudhole. they have some nice prowrap threads, and also Sulky thread has some really nice metallix. NCP get size a if pro wrap. they have some nice colors that dont look flat. the neons are really nice. keep it classy but if you wanna go all out on one of em do it!
For the saltist, just use colors to match the reel, but you can always have a themed rod and shove a reel on. just do some research on mudhole and look at all the color charts and pick whichever colors you think look good. i cant tell you which to put on YOUR rods!

good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster