I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread - Coats & Clark
Posted by: Ed Casteel (74.231.181.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 04:58PM

Anyone use Coat & Clark Rayon thread for wrapping? It's labled Machine Embroidery #S963 and looks alot like nylon rod wrapping thread. Its shinney without any fuzies. I'm needing it for a small decorative wrap at my tip top. It will not be used to afix a guide to the rod or any other stress situation. I assume I would use color preserver?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread - Coats & Clark
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 06:14PM

Check to see if its lubricated. A lot of sewing thread is lubricated. You might want to find the same color in rod wrapping thread and stick with that.

Date: October 06, 2011 06:49PM

Not sure how to tell if it is lubricated.

I would get a spool of thread but need it in a couple of days and everyone wants to charge $5 - $10 shipping for a $2.50 spool of thread. Trying to do this as a work around if I'm not getting myself into trouble.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 07:04PM

Ed; I have used Coats&Clark Metallic thread but not their regular Rayon thread. See if you can find Madeira thread in the color you want. Most Sewing Shops will have it. A lot of the printing companies also do embroidery work and they will also have Madeira.
You could quickly do a sample wrap and punish it a little to see how it holds up. I'm sure It will take finish but I would definitely use CP.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: October 06, 2011 07:29PM

Thanks.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 07:59PM

Ed,
Earlier posts have steered us away from rayon. Does anyone have experience with rayon?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 08:06PM

I have used rayon thread for a trim. I would not used it for a guide wrap--it is too weak. I also always use CP so the presence of a lubricant is not a problem. . Since it is a sewing thread, I would assume that it has a lubricant on it. You can do a test wrap to see for sure. As Kevin noted, check with other thread makers to see if they have a thread color that you can use.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 08:50PM

I can barely get the stuff off the spool without it breaking. Try get bit outdoors, they have free shipping on thread right now. You could always call Kevin there and I'm sure he would hook you up.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 10:40PM

Coats & Clark does NOT use any lubricants on their polysester threads but I don't know for sure about their
rayon. Probably not though.

I've used rayon thread for decorative wraps with and without mishap and would NOT recommend it for rod building
uses. Same for cotton thread. They are either very weak in strength and or quite fuzzy under tension.

I now only use nylon & polyester threads period!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 03:41AM

Again,

Im only using it for sighting the rod tip as a decorative trim wrap below the tip top. This is bright red. Put silver paint underneath to make it bright on the black/grey Dan Craft 3wt blank. Put it on, thread was not fuzzy, applied CP and looks good so far. Its a little bigger than I would like but at the tip top is looks fine as it is still thinner than the tip top.

Brandon, who did you say is having a thread sale? Didn't understand who you were saying is having the sale.

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 03:42AM

Again,

Im only using it for sighting the rod tip as a decorative trim wrap below the tip top. This is bright red. Put silver paint underneath to make it bright on the black/grey Dan Craft 3wt blank. Put it on, thread was not fuzzy, applied CP and looks good so far. Its a little bigger than I would like but at the tip top is looks fine as it is still thinner than the tip top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 03:59AM by Ed Casteel.

Posted by: Justin Schrader (12.196.105.---)
Date: October 07, 2011 08:34AM

Call Utmost...Ive made 2 orders in the last 3 weeks, and they've charged me exact shipping both times.
The second order was some small stuff and shipping was like $3.20.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2011 02:26PM

I used Rayon once and put CP on it. It became mushy and messed up. I won't use it again..

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 09, 2011 05:08AM

Why take a cchance with Rayon when there are ptobably a 1,000 colors available in Nylon and polyestor. I use a lot of Coats and Clark TRILOBEL polyestor on guides with NO problems whatsoever.. The 49wgt polyestor is a LITTLE bid smaller that A thread and is strong enouygh for musky rods and salmon trolling rods

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster