I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimbait rod for Trolling Muskies?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 04:46PM

I've got a Phenix USB-790H swimbait blank. Rated for 2-8 oz. lures. I now figure I'm not throwing it here in Minnesota for bass, but I do have a musky trip coming up where we'll be trolling big plugs. Would this blank be okay for that application? Can it handle the shock of a musky hitting it when trolled up to 4 mph?

Thanks in advance.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimbait rod for Trolling Muskies?
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 06:18PM

Most musky guys like a glass rod for trolling or fishing suckers. Shock is the reason. Guys like to set the hook on sucker rigs like Mike Tyson punching a hooker...which is about what you get when a big musky slams a trolled bait. That being said, you should be able to get away with a more moderate action graphite blank. I'm not sure what the Phenix blanks are like, I've never held one. If it's just a trip or two, I wouldn't worry about it. If I were going to be doing alot of trolling for muskies, I'd make the switch to glass.

jeremy

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 06:54AM

Not familiar with that blank, but for trolling if you are a little "iffy" - either run mono or back the drag off on the reel a little to lessen the shock on the strike. Some musky guys push the limit too much on trolling rigs and keep the drag locked down - it's not necessary.

And for musky - sharpen those hooks!

Good Luck,

Marc

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 10:52AM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not familiar with that blank, but for trolling if
> you are a little "iffy" - either run mono or back
> the drag off on the reel a little to lessen the
> shock on the strike. Some musky guys push the
> limit too much on trolling rigs and keep the drag
> locked down - it's not necessary.
>
> And for musky - sharpen those hooks!
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Marc

Great advice!

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 11:10AM

Basically, you can use any rod that you want for trolling for musky.
Just set the drag to be less tight than the breaking strength of any rod that you use. You will be good to go.

When trolling for musky, there is really no need to set the hook. The muskies will impale themselves when they slam a bait.

If you find that the fish is overwelming the rod, then don't use the rod to land the fish.. Simply point the rod directly at the fish and reel. Use your arm and elbow to land the fish.

Used this way, you can use an ultra light to get a musky to the boat. Unconventional, but successful.

Just set the drag right for the rod you are using and you will be in good shape.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 02:43PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Basically, you can use any rod that you want for
> trolling for musky.
> Just set the drag to be less tight than the
> breaking strength of any rod that you use. You
> will be good to go.
>
> When trolling for musky, there is really no need
> to set the hook. The muskies will impale
> themselves when they slam a bait.
>
> If you find that the fish is overwelming the rod,
> then don't use the rod to land the fish.. Simply
> point the rod directly at the fish and reel. Use
> your arm and elbow to land the fish.
>
> Used this way, you can use an ultra light to get a
> musky to the boat. Unconventional, but successful.
>
>
> Just set the drag right for the rod you are using
> and you will be in good shape.
>
> Take care
> REW

While that may be true in theory, I think the best approach is to use the proper equipment for the task at hand.

jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 07:37PM

Jeremy,
You are 100% correct.
But if you don't either have the right equipment at hand, or can't afford to get the right equipment, don't stop fishing if you have a substitute piece of gear.

Roger

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 08, 2011 05:54AM

So after an 1/2 hour of fighting a muskie on an ultra light and the fish dies does that make it right? Either use the right gear or dont fish.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 09:28AM

So you have never caught a big fish on light tackle? What a shame. Fish can almost always be revived if you take your time doing it.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 10:03AM

I do think this blank is heavy enough for fighting muskies. I was mainly worried about it handling the shock while trolling.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably loosen the drag while trolling and tighten up while fighting.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 12:10PM

Rufus Rhoden Wrote:
> So you have never caught a big fish on light
> tackle? What a shame. Fish can almost always be
> revived if you take your time doing it.

Rufus,

I doubt you'll find a musky fisherman anywhere that would recommend it. If fact, if you go to any of the musky forums and tell guys that you like to do that, you're going to get an ear full! You may be able to revive the fish enough that it swims off, but that doesn't mean it will survive. Playing a fish to exhaustion is never a good idea in my opinion, doesn't matter what fish it is.

jeremy

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2011 01:31PM

I dont have any experience with musky I fish saltwater almost exclusively. But if I build a rod to catch snook im going to build it to catch the pretty common 5-10 pound fish. But what happens when I hook a 25 pound fish? Im not advocating going out and fishing ultra light gear to catch big fish but im also not going to build a rod for thirty pound fish if that is a rare occurence. But when I hook one I have to fight them a little longer and take the time to revive them.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: October 11, 2011 03:42PM

Thornre Brothers sells a nice glass trolling blank you can hack off 3" off the tip and it rocks. Good price and close to home as well.

Eric
Lino Lakes, MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster