I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin/fly combo
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 06:17AM

I'm going to build a spin/fly combo similar to those seen in RodMaker magazine. Though the build will answer most of my questions, I was interested in others opines before I start so as to have a comparable basis for my findings. The article I saw mentioned the use of a 3 or 4 piece rod. Is there a functional advantage here over a 2 piece? Also, what would be the longest that I could make it and still be able to use it as a light spinning rig? I envision it being used mostly as a spinning rod but occasionally as a fly rod or even a jigging pole, so I need as much length as practical. Lastly, I've never seen a fly rod with a number 20 stripper, but it seems to me that, to be cross functional, it will have to accomodate a spinning reel and thereby require the large stripper. Does that add a resistance or weight that makes it cumbersome to cast? Anybody ever fished one? Is it equally functional both ways or just a novel idea?
-greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin/fly combo
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 07:10AM

I believe that I am going to try and build one as a combo by using a Microwave guide and see just how functional it will be, at least its worth a try, and with a removeable fighting butt should be fairly functional, just have to make sure the fly reel seat will accept the spinning reel.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 09:02AM

I would think the main reason most spin/fly combos's are 4 piece is they are used as back pack rods or other areas where you only have room to take one rod and might nedd to fish several different ways.
Anytime you combine functions in fishing rods you have to make concessions in performance. A # 20 stripper is not going to affect a fly rod much if any other than the way it looks.
You're building the rod build it the way you want and see how it works. That's why we have this addiction (hobby).

Bruce Johnstone
Boise, ID

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2011 11:27AM

Per the article, the guide set up for a spinning rod will work fine for a fly rod, but a fly rod type set up will not work very well for a spinning rod.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: October 06, 2011 11:52AM

? on this build. when putting the male ferrell on the blank is thread used to arbor the ferrell or is there a better way?

Date: October 06, 2011 12:22PM

Depends on how much space you need to take up. However, ferrules come in such a wide array of sizes, you should try and get one that fits the blank without needing anything further.

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 12:37PM

Was there an article on building a 'Spin/Fly' in an issue of RodMaker? Thanks

Date: October 06, 2011 12:47PM

Yes, but I'd have to go back and check which issue it was in.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 01:28PM

I dont know what type of guides the article is using but Ron's idea of micros would be good. Mono would cut into guides without inserts and
especially a tip without an insert.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 02:33PM

What about the fly line and connections that will be used

Recoils - minimas - single foot wire would keep it light combined with the spinners

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 02:42PM

I'm glad that this was brought up.

I made an 8 foot spin/fly combo that works quite well in both configurations.

I built the spin/fly handle from a piece of Aluminum tubing flared on both ends with a seat and a short piece of EVA for the fly handle configuration with a long piece of EVA to act as a handle in the spinning configuration when reversed.

I use it with 6lb test mono and a fly ine on unknown vintage. Both were on hand already on the reel. The spinner is a Mitchell 308 and the fly reel is a single action South Bend.

I had completely forgotten this thread; made in 2005. Sorry

[rodbuilding.org]

I use the rod in both fresh and saltwater with small lures and flies. C2

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 03:25PM by Charlie Smoote.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: October 06, 2011 03:25PM

volume 12 issue3. thanks Tom i will look some more

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 11:15PM

The long overdue photos are in the photo section.

This is my first attempt at posting pictures. C2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster