I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank quality
Posted by: chris adams (---.treksafaris.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:21PM

I am looking at making a bluegill rod. Something around 7-8ft and a 3 or 4 weight. This will be my first build and although I dont want to spend alot of money I dont want a blank that is poorly constructed. I have been looking at a forecast blank but the father-in-law (cue eye roll) claims a blank thats only $40 should be left alone. My factory rods are very fast models made on an island in Washington and I appreciate quality just as much as the next guy but do I really need to spend tons of money on a medium action bluegill rod so that it doesnt blow up on me? I spoke with the nice people at Utmost and they have the blank, cork and UL3 reel seat at incredible price. Should I spend double on an MHX blank or something similar? I know most rods are wrecked to our own mistakes but is the build quality and warranty something I should be taking into account on this? I just want something fun to fish that I built.

Hopefully I have made sense and didn't step on any toes in the process. Again thanks for all the help so far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank quality
Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.91.65.in-addr.arpa)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:30PM

I wouldnt spend tons of money on my first build but thats just me. Also knowing my 10th build was 100 times better than my first. If youre buying from a reputable dealer the blank you use isnt going to be junk and will probably fit your needs regardless of the price. If you enjoy the build process then build a pricier one later if you want.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:31PM

I've not seen a poor quality product sold by a sponsor shop. The RX6 7 ft 6 inch 4 wt I built for myself some years back is a fast action blank and as durable as you could ever expect from a graphite rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:50PM

Money is not necessarily indicative of quality nor durability. In fact, a $40 blank stands a good chance of taking more punishment than a $400 blank will, due to the differences in and amount of materials used to build the blank.

What you gain with a more expensive blank, generally, is a higher stiffness to weight ratio and therefore a bit crisper, quicker responding product. Not necessarily a better quality nor more durable one.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 05:57PM

Do a search on this board and see what blanks come up more often then most

Then when you find some thing you like and can afford ask here .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 06:58PM

My new trout rod is an 8'6", 4 weight, 4-piece, RX6 Forecast. The blanks are great quality, enough that I put a nice grip, nice reel seat and insert plus Fuji Alconite guides on it. Don't kid yourself, it will be a fabulous bluegill rod. My all-time favorite pack rods happen to be built on Forecast RX6, 6'0", 4-piece spinning blanks that Bob McKamey @ Mud Hole turned me on to. They have been ALL OVER the country and caught hundreds of fish. Buy the components and build away, you are just fine. Make sure to order yourself a rod sock and/or case, you will want to take care of it properly.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 07:40PM

I'm also a Forecast believer. I have two of them. I have one that is a cut down (it is now 7'6") two piece 5wt. and another one that is 8'. I had a 9' until I sold it (4pc.) The 8' is 3pcs and is a great fly rod. It's light and I use it for just about anything, bass, crappie, bluegill, smallmouth, whatever is biting. They are great blanks, especially for the price.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.33.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 08:48PM

I'd go with one of the MHX Fly blanks. I truly believe you'd be hard pressed to find another blank of equal quality for the price.
I'd say, depending on how "packable" you want the rod, the F703-3 would serve you very well.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 09:11PM

Your plan of getting what you need through Utmost is a good one.

Personally, I'd use an RX6 2 piece in the line weight you want. It won't be expensive. You will really use your first rod as a learning exercise so don't spend a lot. While it will fish just fine, rods you make later will look much better. Even if you build it, fish it once and park it, you will have learned to build rods and not spent a lot of $$.

MHX blanks from Mudhole are very nice, but too much $$ for your first rod, in my opinion. Great rods/blanks, though. I've built 2 and the 5wt MHX is just an outstanding blank.

St Croix SC4/2 is also a worthy blank to consider-after you have completed your first rod. I've only built 1, but it is a great blank for the $$.

If you like fast rods made by Sage, you will be surprised by how good the Batson Rainshadow RX8 rods are. They are about 1/3 the price of a Sage blank, and fish just as well if not better. After you've built your first rod, build one of these and prepare to be impressed. I have a Sage Z axis factory 8wt, and a Rainshadow RX8 8wt that I built myself, and I prefer the Rainshadow.

It is worth saying again, that rod #1 will not be a nice as rod #2 and up. So don't spend a ton of $$ on your first few rods.

Drew

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 10:07PM

I called the folks at Utmost and they found me an American made 10ft 3 wt two piece blank and hooked me with all ceramic guides, reel seat and cork for under $65.00. shipped to the house in Michigan. @ 10 ft, and a two piece rod, it is kind of a pain to get around, but for boat fishing for gills, it is a blast...

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 02:03AM

The Forecast blanks are good, just not as light as the higher end blanks. I brought my Forecast 9' 5 weight to Alaska this August as a backup rod. I ended up using it the whole time.

Greg

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 03:18AM

You can't go wrong with any of the blanks mentioned here, or any branded blank for that matter, especially if you get really hooked on rodbuilding. If you don't like something in a rod and are running short of new rod ideas, you can always rebuild the old rod (change guides, do the wraps and finish again, whatever) and do it as many times, as the blank will handle ;-).

For your first, or last build Batson blanks are just fine, just as MHX or American Tackle Matrix, to mention just a few.

I have already come to the "rebuild the older builds" stage and man, this is fun!

Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Justin Schrader (12.196.105.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 09:03AM

For what its worth, I just bought an SB822.5 blank for $40...my dad is wrapping it for me.

I had looked at the MHX as well as the RX8 and RX8+ lines. When I held this blank I was very impressed...I would compare the action to my Fenwick HMX spinning rod, but a little faster.

Try the $40 blank, and if you don't like it, get the more expensive one next time...or get the expensive one first and if you don't like it....

Posted by: chris adams (---.treksafaris.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 09:55AM

Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Posted by: Ed Casteel (74.231.181.---)
Date: October 06, 2011 06:59PM

I love my St. Croix SCii/SCiv 2wt and 3wt blanks. I would and have put them up against Sages and Windsons and they equal or exceed both. I would not trade you my 2wt for a Sage TXL unless I could sell it, build me a new SCii/SCiv and pocket the difference. Don't know about the 4wt but the 2 and 3 are exceptional creek rods. The 2wt is the most accurate rod I've ever used. BTW, I use single foot guides. Being your first build I wouldn't recommend single foot and not sure how much snake guides was affect this blank.

The forcast are good for the money and good to practice on. I have a 7'6" that is a decent rod but I also have a 9' 3wt that fishes like a noddle to me. I still think others advise is sound to practice with a forecast, then build the real one.

Posted by: chris adams (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 07:47PM

Has anyone had to utilize the warranty for any of these mentioned blanks? The companies as easy to deal with over blanks as they are with factory rods?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 08:28PM

I have had NO problems with warranty service or customer service with any manufacturer. Do remember that blank warranties cover manufacturer defects only. It is very rare to get a blank that isn't defect-free. If you stress test it upon arrival, you are 99.9% clear. After a few times of use, it is all but impossible to label a breakage as defect.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 09:19PM

I got a new top section from Batson when I broke one of my spinning rods. They turned it around in 2-3 days. The only downside it that you have to rebuild the rod yourself, but for most here, that isn't a bad thing!

The MHx blanks from Mudhole have a really nice registration/warranty package that I hope others will copy.

To answer your question directly, I don't think you'll have any problems with any of the major players here.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster