I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float rod suggestions
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.qni.biz)
Date: October 04, 2011 12:51PM

I'll be trying some steelhead fishing but not quite ready to commit to the center-pin reel set up. I'm considering a spiral wrapped casting build on a 13' blank as the next best way to present a float rig. Should I just go spinning and maybe buy a pin reel in the future? I'm looking at the xst Batson and the MHX blanks. I've heard the MHX described as on the whippy side. Is there a lot of difference between these two blanks? Any other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float rod suggestions
Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 02:00PM

I built one on a 13' spey rod blank. Casts a loooong way. Anglers Roost sells them at a reasonable price. I got mine from a guy named Roger on ^&*%.

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.112.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 02:26PM

The 13' 2 piece MHX is lighter on power and slower than the comparable XST. If I had to choose it would be the XST. If you commit to a casting rod, you won't be able to use it with a centerpin. A spinning set up offers you this option.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 03:45PM

Awhile back, I built a float rod from a 13' Talon ITM blank - really nice blank. Since I couldn't cast a pin worth a darn I called Talon, sent them in the middle section, and they fitted another butt section for a measely $15. I turned that bottom section into a spiral wrap with some low profile boat guides. I can almost cast into the next zip code with this outfit. If pictures weren't so hard to upload here I'd show you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 03:51PM by Tim Collins.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 03:45PM

Mike,
For myself, I would build up a 13 foot float rod as an excellent spinning rod. It will cast a mile and will do a nice job on these fish.

Take care
REW

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 04:00PM

Tim

pictures are easy _ just follow directions

What is the problem

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 04:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 04:18PM

Bill - on every other forum I can make a click, a window pops up, select, load, boom! It must be a me thing - I always seem to have trouble here so I don't bother anymore.

Well I can only seem to load one photo at a time and then I have to start the process all over again for more pics . . .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 04:26PM by Tim Collins.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 04:40PM

Built a 13' St.Croix from mudhole. Spiral wrapped concept casting guides and the owner uses it with a casting reel. He fishes from a drift boat so casting wan't too big of a concern to him. He caught a 7 lb skamani first trip out. Loves the action of the rod. I would build a straight pin rod and use a spinning reel for now and when you want to graduate to a pin reel your all set. If you do a spiral wrap your limiting yourself to a casting reel only.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster