I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which spey blank to buy
Posted by: Dennis Callesen (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 09:32PM

I've decided to build an 8wt spey rod(on a budget )any suggestions ? as far as casting style is concerned I'm crowding 60 but in good shape and prefure my rods a little on the fast side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which spey blank to buy
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 10:15PM

If you can go 9 weight utmost has one on closeout at a price you can't afford to pass up. I have been very happy with what I have bought from them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 03, 2011 10:18PM

I agree, I bought one of the 3 piece blanks and it is a beast. Color is plum, action is traditional.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 10:38PM

havent tried a spey yet but love the single handed so far. And fast to...

Quickline:

[www.fishpacbay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 10:39PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 04:55PM

I built on a Batson Rainshadow 8wt spey and took it on a guided trip. The guide casted it and asked if it was a Loomis blank. He said it cast just like his Loomis Dredger. He advised me not to sell the rod, build another one to sell and keep the curent rod. Built a switch rod that the owner took on a guided trip with a different guide and he thought it was a Loomis also. Set them both up using the recipie Batson provides.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 07:37PM

casting style is a personal preference and partly driven by what sort of fishing you are doing. Please provide some information as to what type of fish your chasing, what type of flies you are looking at doing and what time of year and I will help you out.

Eric

Posted by: Dennis Callesen (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 08:05PM

I live in northren ca on the coast so it will be tht mad,trinity klameth,smith and the eal. As far as flys go it's whatever I'm told will work.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 10:08PM

O.K. for the sounds of this you will not be needing heavy sink tips to deliver stuff way deep in cold winter water. Look into scandi or underhand casting. It is very easy on the shoulders. Check out some you tube videos. The trick is to pick one style and master it. If you attempt too many different ones you will get your timing all messed up. Look into ww w.speypages.com it is a great site and tons of folks in your area to help you out with the casting. As for the rod there are many choices but for a cheaper blank if you are looking 8wt 13-14 foot look at Batson. If you want to drop a few more you cannot go wrong with a mieser highlander. I have built a few and you will not find a smoother casting rod around! Butter is an understatment here!
Best of luck to you spey is like crack, only legal!

Posted by: Dennis Callesen (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2011 09:01AM

Thanks to all of you. I'm ordering the blank from Utmost today and tying flys till it shows up?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster