I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod wrapper feedback
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 06:21PM

just looking for feedback on some rod wrapper 's that you all have. no hand one's. i have one of them. just a lil info that you may like or dislike about them and where you got them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod wrapper feedback
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 06:57PM

The Renzetti Rod Lathe is the best commercial unit I have yet to see.
It costs a lot more than most of the others but that's the one I like best.
The rod supports provide a lot of working room around the blank. I like that.
All parts are built to last a lifetime.

You can buy one directly from Renzetti or from Mudhole and perhaps other dealers listed on the Sponsor Menu.
Occasionally a used Renzetti or Clemens lathe will come up for sale on the Buy/Sell page but they go fast.

Be aware that some of the Clemens lathes have unusual thread carriages. Some are good.. some not very good.
Otherwise the two systems are almost identical and parts are interchangeable.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 10:16PM

Hi,

My first factory power wrapper was a Pac Bay RodSmith. I used it very successfully for 5 years and then I needed a more powerful lathe. Pac Bay has improved their lathe immensely, the chuck, thread carriage and rod supports. Now it is a very good rod wrapper. The ability to not only wrap a rod but to also use it as a dryer is a big bonus. The price of this unit is also very attractive to a buyer.

I chose the Clemens lathe as the replacement. I have two of them in use daily. These lathes are very important to my business. They perform, are strong and dependable. When I purchased these the Renzetti was not available. Now the Clemens are not available but the Renzetti is and now the power lathe of choice for serious users.

Any of these products will give exceptional service. Just depends upon your budget.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 08:42AM

X1000 on the Renzetti. I have 4 of them in my shop and they will last a lifetime.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 09:40AM

I have:

1 Renzetti
1 Pac Bay
1 AmTak
1 Home-made

Renzetti is the top of the line - and appropriately priced. Total cost for mine (with extras) as just below $1,000. I like it & use it for lots of turning, trimming, setting ferrules on bamboo because it has a through feed in the chuck. The chuck is outstanding. I have two thread carriages (basic and 8 thread). Honestly I don't like it very much for wrapping because it's rather difficult to set up / change thread spools on. What you can do to overcome this is spin your most used threads onto sewing machine bobbins and stack multiple bobbins onto each thread feed rod.

PacBay / AmTak are basically the same machine (I have the "flat track" model PacBay). IMO you NEED to buy the ALPS chuck for these machines to get the most out of them and I would opt for the 4 spool carriage over the two spool - only because I sometimes use the large 4oz spools. On the plus side changing thread spools is easy with all the feed in front of you rather than on the opposite side of the bed. They also have a magnet on the thread carriage to hold razor blades so you don't have to keep looking for them. They can (especially with the ALPS chuck) be used to shape foam (EVA / HYPALON / MOOSESKIN) as well as cork but NOT wood.

The home-made I did is a combination set up that I made using heavy track / bed; flat aluminum bar stock & ball bearing rollers / neoprene washers and a spring loaded attachment so I could wrap and back up multiple threads I made this one up more for heavier shaping than thread work. now - due to physical shop space it doesn't get used much at all. Especially with the addition of a wood lathe in the shop

In between the Renzetti and the PacBay/AmTak/Batson machines are the Angler's Workshop machines. The nice thing about these is that it's possible to start with a hand wrapper and add power later. I'd like one of these but I'm already in lathe overload.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2011 11:39AM

Hi Greg, a lot of good info above. I've had my Pac Bay Wrappers in use for 10yrs and they haven't skipped a beat. The ALPS chuck is a great addition as Ken mentioned. Very economical, reliable, and versatile. We are offering 20% off the prices listed on our wrappers to kick off the fall rod building season. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster