I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Introduction
Posted by: andrew johnson (---.jmsmucker.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:05AM

First of all, I want to introduce myself, my name is Andrew Johnson, and I live in Picayune MS. This is my first post, I'm 18 years old, and I love to fish for bass, redfish, trout, and flounder mostly. Recently I attended a Rod Builders class put on by this company in Florida, the class was very exciting, I really enjoyed it. after the class, I found that I have a bunch of questions. I searched the internet and found your forum.
The first question I have is, I am building a small inshore rod, and every time I finish wrapping the guide, and just as I cut the tag end off of the wrap, the whole wrap comes unraveled, can anyone possibly tell me what i'm doing wrong? I stop the wrap 5 or 6 wraps before ending in, insert a loop, try to hold pressure on the line while cutting the thread, I pass it through the loop with no problem, then I finagle it through the wrap, thinking i'm done, just cut the tag end, but then the thread closest to the guide loosens up and unravels. And help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Introduction
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2011 10:26AM

Sounds like you're not using enough tension. Or, you're letting the tag end slip up inside the small, open tunnel where the guide foot keeps the thread slightly away from the blank.

Try putting the pull-thru loop on the back side of the wrap, opposite the guide and pull through there.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:00AM

Andrew welcome to the forum. Most of the problems you encounter in rodbuilding can be handled by the information on this forum. Sometimes it is much easier to learn by watching. I live in Baton Rouge, a one and one half hour trip from your house. My shop door is always open and I would welcome the opportunity to spend time with you, anytime, to help you with those things that cause you problems. A couple of hours at night or on a weekend will save you a lot of problems. There are several rodbuilders who live in the Slidell area, Covington and Hammond that can and will

Hook up with some of these guys and make a friend for life.

You can find my telephone number listed in the Contact Us link on the left side of the main web page for [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: andrew johnson (---.jmsmucker.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:23AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andrew welcome to the forum. Most of the problems
> you encounter in rodbuilding can be handled by the
> information on this forum. Sometimes it is much
> easier to learn by watching. I live in Baton
> Rouge, a one and one half hour trip from your
> house. My shop door is always open and I would
> welcome the opportunity to spend time with you,
> anytime, to help you with those things that cause
> you problems. A couple of hours at night or on a
> weekend will save you a lot of problems. There
> are several rodbuilders who live in the Slidell
> area, Covington and Hammond that can and will
>
> Hook up with some of these guys and make a friend
> for life.
>
> You can find my telephone number listed in the
> Contact Us link on the left side of the main web
> page for [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Bill, Thank you for the open invitation, and I might very well have to take you up on it, so save myself some grief, and learn to hone my skills. Mr. Tom, i've tried to go directly 180 degrees from the guide and when i use thresd, the thread seems to fray and or even break, so I seen the mudhole had a monofiliment fishing line with a bead on it for pulling the tag end through, So I built myself one, and used a bead that I usually reserve for my drop shot lines for fishing in the lake, the Monofilament line worked great, ecept when it pulls tight, I think the rod may be turning back towards the guide allowing the tag end to get caught between the crevice of the guide foot and the wrap. I never thought about that until now. Thank You all for the very warm welcome, and great ideas. I hope you won't mind my never ending curiosity to ask questions, because I want to learn as much as I can to be a good rod builder, and not just a rod assembler. Thank you.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:31AM

Andrew,

Welcome to the craft! It can be very addicting. I strongly encourage you to take Bill up on his invitation. He's a great guy, and sharp as a tack when it comes to building. I'm sure you'll forget more from a day or two in his shop than you will learn in months searching online.

Joe

Posted by: brad parker (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:48AM

Andrew, I myself attended a rodbuilding class not long ago. I am still learning myself, but I would be glad to help you with any issues you are having. I am located in Gautier, MS. In fact I am finishing an inshore rod for myself this weekend. Send me an email and I will send you my phone number.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 01:44PM

Andrew... take Bill up on his offer. You might be surprised who could come through the door or call while you are there.

I agree with Tom. Try a little more tension on the whole wrap - not just the last 5 or 6 wraps.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.193.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:11PM

Welcome to the fire, get ready to get addicted. Feel free to give us a call anytime 407-448-3635, we're more than happy to help. Sometimes it is easier to explain things over the phone. This should be an easy fix with a little more tension as mentioned above.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster