I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For Eugene Moore
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 08:36AM

Eugene, I like your posts on sf Recoils for a couple guides and df Recoils the rest of the way on fly rods. For my 9' 10wt, I'll either go with the AT Matrix or a Batson RX7. The St Criox guide suggestion starts with (4) #4 and the (4) #5 fly guides. If the suggested spacings start at 4.5 - 9.5 - 15.5 - 21.625 - 28.875, how many RSFX sf guides would you put behind the tip top before going to RSNX df guides if you were building this rod for yourself? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Eugene Moore
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: October 01, 2011 11:32AM

Tim,
Thanks.
For the guide train I'd use (4) #4 Recoil RSFX
Followed by (4) #5 double foot typically std hard chrome snakes ( save you a few bucks and a little quieter )
You can use Recoils however the weight reduction won't be as noticable as you move farther from the tip
Followed by (1) #12 Alox
Followed by (1) #16 Alox stripper
10 guide total
Spacing from tip
4.5 9.5 15.0 21.2 28.1 35.8 44.3 53.9 64.5 76.4

The St croix spacing as you may observe is very close to my formula
Don't forget an oversize tip top for the connections you may have to pass

If I may be of any further assistance, Please ask.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 12:01PM by Eugene Moore.

Re: For Eugene Moore
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2011 04:03PM

Looks great, I'll let you know how it comes out, thanks.

Now I have to see what an Alox guide is . . .

Duh . . . aluminum oxide.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 04:05PM by Tim Collins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster