I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Zirconia or Nanolite rings?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 04:17PM

Bwtween these two guide rings, what one would be more durable , and would hold up with like the super lines and the braid and Flouro line, I have both and want to know which ine is the more durable one. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zirconia or Nanolite rings?
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.221.---)
Date: September 30, 2011 05:33PM

I doubt you could ever tell the difference. Both are premium materials, and even on rods with the less capable materials, I have never had a failure of a guide. I have had tiptop grooving, rarely, but I've had it. The biggest risk, IMHO, is with tiptops, where the highest loads are. But even there, the failures I've seen have been more with cracking rather than grooving, and the more resistant materials to impact are the ones to go with. I think both of those you mention are good for impact. The hardest material may be more brittle and less capable of surviving impact.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.221.---)
Date: September 30, 2011 05:33PM

I doubt you could ever tell the difference. Both are premium materials, and even on rods with the less capable materials, I have never had a failure of a guide. I have had tiptop grooving, rarely, but I've had it. The biggest risk, IMHO, is with tiptops, where the highest loads are. But even there, the failures I've seen have been more with cracking rather than grooving, and the more resistant materials to impact are the ones to go with. I think both of those you mention are good for impact. The hardest material may be more brittle and less capable of surviving impact.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 06:11PM

To really know which is "better", you'd need to know the additives used in the ceramic to get a good idea of it's properties. Since I'm guessing that is proprietary with Nanolite you're going to be hard pressed to find out the answer.

Also there may be differences in the "Zirconia" among different companies.

ZrO2 - Zirconium Dioxide - has some outstanding basic characteristics - low thermal conductivity, fracture toughness, high density, wear resistance, etc. It's used in jet engines, crowns and bridges (dental), thread guides, dies, sensors, valves, etc.

Bottom line - you'll probably be happy with either.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 06:31PM

Lorenzo,
In todays of rods, reels and guides, there are almost no guides on the market today that don't hold up very well.

It has been a long time since I have seen any guide of any material that has shown wear or grooving.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 06:48PM

An American Tackle rep told me that the Nanolite guide is their brand of Zirconia. As mentioned previously, there may be different forms of zirconia used by the various manufacturer of these guides.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 08:12PM

Sounds like I can just take my pick of either one and it would still be a good choice, Thanks all!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 08:59PM

Zirconia sounds so much cooler than Nanolite!!!

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 08:59PM

Zirconia sounds so much cooler than Nanolite!!!

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2011 11:42AM

Zirconia has my vote

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster