I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gorilla Saltwater blanks VS. Calstar Saltwater.
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:04PM

So I'm a fairly new builder, and I'm in the process of comming out with a line of Striper rods for my business. Now as anyone has seen, there is a big price difference in similar blanks depending who you buy from and the maker. What I want to know is..... has anyone actually fished either blank? is it worth the extra money to put into the calstar blanks? As far as the E-glass or E-glass composite blaks are concerned. But honestly, If you have a different opinion on a blank for game ranging from 8lb striper to 70lb striper, feel free to tell me and why! I would love plenty of feedback to help me make this decision. KEEP IN MIND, THE BLANK HAS TO BE WITHIN A REASONABLE PRICE FOR ME TO BUILD SO THAT I CAN SELL IT TO THE AVERAGE PERSON LOOKING FOR SOMETHING EXTRA IN A ROD WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK. Thanks for reading!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gorilla Saltwater blanks VS. Calstar Saltwater.
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:23PM

Andrew -
Not to be a smarty pants but the best and maybe the only way for you to know is to build a few and fish them yourself. There's a wide range of blanks that you've sort of lumped into one pile, and other manufacturers that you've eliminated without consideration to go after fish that "range from 8 lbs to 70 lbs" without information regarding technique (trolling, jigging, live lining). Perhaps if you narrowed down your criteria for your "line of striper rods for your business" people could answer your questions especially with your caveat of "blank has to be within a reasonable price" . What is your "reasonable price"? If you build a few and fish with them then you can advise your customers on the relative differences / values - and why prices vary.

Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 08:25PM by Ken Preston.

Date: September 29, 2011 08:29PM

Haha Ken, my apologies. The idea is to create a rod mounted with a spinning reel, that you'd mainly be jigging with, or running a stretch 15 or greater, so yeah it would have trolling capabilitys. And reasonal price being around $110. not making a big profit, but hey I dont depend on it for a living, but I like to keep the little guy in mind too.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:58PM

Andrew -
Just thinking/considering your price break point ($110) you probably ought to look at Gator Glass blanks. The Gorilla blanks, to my mind are overkill and inappropriate for jigging. If you're looking at CalStars then you need to look at (at least) two blanks the 660 series and the 195 or 196 series. Yes, I know that there is a swing / trend to use spinning reels for trolling but my preference (and that of most of my customers) remains conventional reels with lever drags. I don't depend on turning out fishing rods to eat either - but unless you're dealing with 'summer vacation fishermen' - that is: people who fish more than once a month will spend money for quality. My son made a set of signs for me: " Cheap rods aren't good and good rods aren't cheap". Competing with Bass Pro shop, Cabellas etc just isn't where I want to be - and neither should you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 09:00PM by Ken Preston.

Date: September 29, 2011 09:07PM

hahaha I like that. Alot of the guys here in obx love the lever drag too., I find them always going back to spinning rod for some reason, im assuming its just easier, haha, but i'm sure that like everyone they will use it for what ever game they can...ex: throwing bucktails at cobia. I dont know, most folks like that all purpose rod within a certain range. Ken I really appreciate the feed back. Thank You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 09:21PM by Andrew Cake.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.autoregister.wesleyan.edu)
Date: September 30, 2011 05:18AM

Some people cast to Stripers, some troll, some jig, some snap wire, etc. Lots of different rods! Also look at the Mudhole E glass blanks, too. Around $30 IIRC? I have built on the Gorillas and they appear to be a Lamiglas blank, their solid tip International line IIRC; some of mine came with the Lami product number stickers on them still :) Calstar makes a nice blank, American Tackle now has West Coast style blanks like the 870 and their wireline trolling blanks are decent for snapping wire.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 30, 2011 07:51AM

Define jigging. You mention jigging and spinning gear and I think vertical jigging with the newer shimano inspired jigs. That requires a totally different type of blank.

Gator glass and Gorilla are likely to weigh a lot but be unbreakable. For 200# plus tuna Calstar and Seeker are the ones I'd trust. For stripers you have choices within the Lamiglas, Baston, St. Croix even, and others. I'd probably lean towards a composite blank. I'd get rid of the notion of an "all purpose" blank. You want to specialize and convine customers they need several types of rods for the different techniques they will use (IMHO).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 30, 2011 01:05PM

Although you could possibly verticle jig for striper, I have never done it. So thats something I wouldn't really reccomend to my customers. But hey, lol who am I to tell them what to do. Thanks for all the feedback. It has been very helpful!

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2011 01:11PM

Andrew, I would highly suggest taking a look at the Batson Blank line up particularly the RCJB's and RCLB's. They are very affordable, come in a wide array of actions, and will not let u down. Great advice there from Ken, be sure you don't sell yourself short.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

We have both lines in stock and are glad to help in anyway we can.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 01:15PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 01:21PM

I always tell the cheap ones if they want cheap - go to wally world

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 30, 2011 05:13PM

lol yeah, but i'm trying to take the market by a different storm.

Date: October 01, 2011 08:57AM

Come here often and look for sales from the suppliers here get there fast - they go quick

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 03, 2011 04:26PM

bill not quite sure what your saying. lol

Date: October 03, 2011 04:34PM

A lot of times suppliers here have a sale on there stuff - But a lot of builders buy them out quick

Or Specials - over stocked items

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 03, 2011 04:37PM

And where is that at bill?

Date: October 03, 2011 04:47PM

The suppliers are on the left

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster