I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing on spiral wrapped rods
Posted by: John DeLuca (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 09:38AM

How do you determine the guide spacing on a spiral wrapred rod when using casting guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing on spiral wrapped rods
Posted by: Brendan Murphy (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:13AM

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:17AM

Depends on what style of sprial wrap you are going to use. If you look at the simple spiral, you basically layout your guides as normal and add a bumper guide between the first and second guide. For where you are using more of a transition style using a total of 4 guides to go from 0 degrees down to 180 degrees I space them about 4" apart so I use a total spacing around 12" for the 4 guides. I lay out most of my other guides as I normally would and work out the location of the transition guides that gives me the best line flow.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:32AM

I lay my guides out on top and then rotate them around until I get them on the bottom. Then tweak the transition guides to get the smoothest move I can. It's worked pretty good so far.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:55AM

Simple spiral to get the butt & 1st 180 guide. Add the bumper and then move away from the simple spiral in order to use static distribution for the running guides...use as few guides as needed (so long as the guide spacing is still progressive toward the tip.

Posted by: John DeLuca (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:56AM

Thanks guys alot of good information

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 11:41AM

John,
Use the idential spacing as if the rod were conventionally wrapped with the exception that you may end up using fewer and more widely spaced guides near the tip, since you don't need as many due to any line on the guide or line slapping factor, since the line is under the rod at that point.

If I am building a fast tipped casting rod, I will end up with 2 or 3 fewer guides with a spiral wrap compared to a conventional wrap using smaller and shorter guides.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 12:04PM

I set up the butt guide based upon the reel to be used (height of line coming off the reel and the line angle). I then static test for the running guides as if I would for a spinner. When the first 180 guide is between 10 and 12 inches from the butt guide, I place a bumper guide where the line crosses the blank under load (90 deg. bend). I then tweak the butt guide and the first 180 guide so the line doesn't touch the blank. If moving these a few degrees doesn't clear he blank, I'll add a second intermediate guide and the bumper guide becomes a pair of transition guides equidistand between the butt and 180 guide. I don't follow any specific theory (simple, O'quinn, etc.). I prefer to let the blank tell me what it needs as every blank is different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster